blood milk caps- lactarius sanguifluxus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
We call them sanguins (bloodish) in French, because of the red-wine/blood colored sap they produce, which is a factor in identifying them.

I went in the woods today for my prefered autumns food amongst mushrooms, the blood milk cap (sanguin). It is a lactarius, so procuces a milky sap, and in this case, the milk is dark orange to red wine color.
The cap color ranges from orange to whitish discoloration and bears green traces, more or less extended, but often bear some green traces, which range from microscopic to almost the whole cap. The cap either rolls down arround the gills, or is flat, or makes a V. The gills are straight and the delimitation between foot and gills is visible and clear, there is no volva or ring. The mushroom colors to green when bruised after a few hours, but the main identifying factor is the presence of the often scarce red wine colored sap when cut.

This specific specie is symbiotic of pine trees, and grows from October to December in places where there are mediterannean pine trees (can be mixed forests). At this season, they start blooming first in altidude, arround 1000m, then they slowly come blooming down to sea level.

The perfume is that of pines and mushroomy mycellium, and the meat is consistant, and ferm, but not chewy. The taste is somewhat unique, and extremely delicate, remembering of fresh beef, mushroom mycellium, with a light favor of pine. They are absolutely excellent in omelettes, and are often cooked and preserved in olive oil, to be used as pickles.

here is a bottom view.
dsc02792.jpg

here is a view of two extremely different specimen of the same specy, note the diferent colorations, and the presence of green, though it is hard to see on the small one.
dsc02793.jpg

a lot of them:
dsc02796.jpg

Blood mushroom? check the knife !
dsc02797.jpg

Packed and cooked.
dsc02798.jpg

Do you guys in UK get these, or only the lactarius deliciosus (saffron milk cap) which is very close, but yet not the same ? The saffron milk cap makes an orange milk, for the rest, ecxept the period, it's caracteristics are the same. The taste is slightly more peppery.

Both mushrooms will change the color of the urines to the color of their sap, no need to worry about it.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Never heard of them in the UK. We do get the saffron milk cap but it is pretty rare in England (i've never seen one) - apparently they are more common in Scotland.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Interesting, I suppose then they are a rather mediterranean specie then, as they are not spread either in the north of France.

JM

Forager
Sep 9, 2003
Left
Euh take care, do not mixt safron milk cap and the specie I am talking about here, they share a lot of points, including edibility, and external aspects, but are not the same (some sources tell).

One is lactarius sangifluxus, the other lactarius deliciosus. they are often mistaken one for the other, but do not share the same growing window, though they share the same hosts, pines, but this difference could only be due to local temperatures.

Indeed, what is a classification, and most books do not know about the sangifluxus, although some other books declare it better than the deliciosus... Good eating, they are, I confirm.

Both are symbiotes of pine, so they need pine roots to grow, not really a question of acidity. But it could be possible that one is dedicated to scotts pine (present here) and the other to mediterranean pine.

Would be interesting to sort out! ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE