Blood clotting products

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heavylevy

Feb 13, 2011
ramsgate kent uk
Heard somewhere or might of dreamt it that soldiers use baby nappies and ladies hygenic products to steam the flow of blood from wounds gained in battle.The wife thinks I am mad so someone please put us out of my misery and tell me Im right.:confused:

Graveworm

Life Member
Sep 2, 2011
London UK
I've heard talk of them being used especially for epistaxis and can possibly see some benefits in very limited cirumstances but ribbon is more versatile and would be better, besides there is no need in 99.99% of cases especially in a non remote setting, never seen it though. I personally wouldn't advocate it and defintely don't carry one for that purpose as a nasal tampon looks nothing like ones designed for more inferior :) use, and don't carry one of those either unless you have a small truck already loaded up with more useful non one trick pony medical supplies and still have space.

I can't imagine soldiers carrying any of them, just for that purpose, because if you are going to carry them then you could carry a purpose built dressing. I can see they might be useful to improvise with as people are likely to have them for their primary purpose (not sure about a battlefield and nappies). I only know nappies from adverts and have no idea but typing as my brain works the "stay dry" membrane is probably semi permeable and could be an issue, if it works with something as viscous as blood (which I doubt), as you want the opposite with a dressing.

Lots of variables I can think of for tampons and puncture wounds; if it was the right diameter and depth it could probably benefit as it could pack it and aid clotting but to carry one in case you come across such a wound is really being prepared. Simply plugging a deeper hole like a cork in a bottle might just mask the symptom, again if you are going to the trouble of packing a wound there might be other ways even if you are improvising.

Last edited:

The Ratcatcher

Apr 3, 2011
Manchester, UK
In the bad old days before the current NATO Field dressings, we were issued with a cotton packet containing two much smaller dressings, about the size of a no. 14 first aid dressing. I and others carried a long sanitary towel so that if someone received a lacerated wound, the sanitary towel covered the gap between the two rather small pads.This was advice from old soldiers. I later transferred to the RAMC, and found that some of those medics with long service still carried them long after the new field dressings were issued. Old habits die hard.

I remember being taught to use the tampons for bullet wounds. That is long gone. The only way to stop a bleed is by using direct pressure in the wound. A tampon will not provide pressure, it will only keep the blood from running onto the floor.
Sticking a finger into the wound and pressing hard for at least five minutes would be a better option than using a nappy or tampon.

The better option would be to stuff the wound with Celox gauze and hold direct pressure INTO the wound for five minutes.

For epistaxis, blow the nose to remove any of the clots. Then squeeze the nose shut just below the bone. Hold for ten minutes. Most of your nose bleeds will come from the front part of your nose and this technique will work for most of your nose bleeds. A tampon will be useless for this technique.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
I can't see such things being used for these purposes, unless improvisation is necessary for whatever reason. And, with the introduction of the new Israeli dressing, CAT tourniquet, Celox/Hemcon et al, I'd confidently say that there are far more and better 'purpose-built' ways to stop a bleed now issued at the self/buddy-aid level than ever before - conflict does drive innovation. That's not to say that improvisation will never again be needed, but I think the likelihood is less now than it's ever been.

If you are looking for packing wounds with something that has a haemostatic(sp?) effect then you really should take a look at Celox gauze, and it's predecessor Hemcon. There was also another product, can't remember the name but it was recently taken out of US service as particles could possibly migrate in the bloodstream to the heart and lungs etc - bad juju. Additionally you have stuff like granular Quick-Clot which seems to have been more popular on the other side of the pond but that is also not without it's own little set of problems/disadvantages.

PS: I am not a medical professional!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE