Blades - stainless steel or carbon?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
I'm vaguely toying with the idea of making myself a knife. There's a company in Denmark that seems to do a good choice of not expensive blades in stainless or carbon steel. Being a beginner to all this, what's the difference between the two types?

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Is it naturalgelliert 'Goodstuff'? By any chance, because Per's great.

I think as a starter, try his stainless. It's great because if you make a mistake, drill out the bolts and boil it in a pan to remove the handle (it boils away the araldite) without affecting the blade too much.

Hope this helps.

David Morgan

Tenderfoot
Sep 18, 2004
Buckinghamshire
If you are not doing the forging/grinding and heat treatment yourself, very little difference apart from the obvious. There are hundreds of different types of both stainless and carbon steels, some of which make good blades and some of which don't, and it depends how they are treated as well. If it's a reputable company then they should both be good. Do you have a link to the company, or more specific.... er, specifications for the steels they use?

BTW, My personal preference is for carbon, because it 'ages' nicely, is different from the regular knives we all mostly have in our kitchens etc, and I can use it to make my own much more easily that stainless.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Lots of factors here. What do you intend to use it for? I personally would always make large blades from carbon steel as 90% of carbon knife steels are tougher that there stainless counterparts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE