Blades for basic bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Hah or a kukri or a machete or a...god knows too much to choose from! I also don't know the legality on large blades making it even more complicated :(

your other thread has a link to the bb law section courtesy of RCS.

I have just got myself a kukri - needs a new handle so I havent used it yet, as such I can't pass on any advice regarding them

Out of interest why are you going for a large blade over an axe? - I would get a kukri or bill hook over a machete. but I would choose an axe over all of them any day.

Andy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Hah or a kukri or a machete or a...god knows too much to choose from! I also don't know the legality on large blades making it even more complicated :(

Exactly the same as small blades, you need good reason to carry if over 3inches and fixed. If you have good reason... sorted.

Tobias

May 19, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
your other thread has a link to the bb law section courtesy of RCS.

I have just got myself a kukri - needs a new handle so I havent used it yet, as such I can't pass on any advice regarding them

Out of interest why are you going for a large blade over an axe? - I would get a kukri or bill hook over a machete. but I would choose an axe over all of them any day.

Andy

More versatility perhaps? not quite sure but I could imagine it being good for many functions including coppicing and splitting logs.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
iv watched gurkas build shelters with their kukris and trust me they are very hand with one. but from what many people say i get the impression that they are hard to get the hang of but once you do it is a tool that you can do pretty much everything with. back in Nepal they are used as a general tool for everything from farming, butchering game to fighting.

is it the best tool to start with? not sure. it is very dangerous but then again so is a small axe or bill hook to the inexperienced or user with a lack of respect (not that im suggesting you are).

If you do decide to get one my advice is to get a the real thing not one of cold steel’s imitations or similar.

Pete

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Ananix:
That knife on the bottom would give "ugly" a bad name. I'm sure it works fine, but that is the most butt ugly handle I have ever seen in my life! But, hey, the only thing that matters, is does it work for you? and if it does, then that is the knife for you. For me, it is an EnZo trapper, or a Mora Clipper, or a D.H. Russell Canadian Belt knife. Or, if I want a folder, a Gerber "Gator."

Oh, and by the way, we are not a true "religious" site, more like a cult. We don't actually "worship" the Mora, however, three times a day, we do face Scandinavia and pray for more attractive handles.

Tobias

May 19, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
Lol! Talking about Mora (blessed be it's name) I just got mine in today! Very sharp...I'll have to take care with it :) I like the feel it - it's nicely balanced and looks alright.

ananix

Tenderfoot
Apr 24, 2010
Denmark
Ananix:
That knife on the bottom would give "ugly" a bad name.

Thats the mora stainless steal (blue). The handle is not only ugly but also crappy, noticed its chipped where you have you thumb for controll.

I'm sure it works fine, but that is the most butt ugly handle I have ever seen in my life! But, hey, the only thing that matters, is does it work for you? and if it does, then that is the knife for you.

Then you did not read my description of how i use the two knifes. It does not fill the needs of a woodcraft knife to me!

For me, it is an EnZo trapper, or a Mora Clipper, or a D.H. Russell Canadian Belt knife. Or, if I want a folder, a Gerber "Gator."

Mjaa would never chose any of the fixed blades there, but the gerber gator is deffently something i could support, nice steal and finish, but i could imagine you would go for the clippoint and scandi grind, where i would go for the drop point flat grind.

Oh, and by the way, we are not a true "religious" site, more like a cult. We don't actually "worship" the Mora, however, three times a day, we do face Scandinavia and pray for more attractive handles.

You can get them without i think?

Last edited:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I really think you would like the Gerber "Gator." I have only seen them in a clippoint, so I didn't know they were available in a drop point. Actually I like drop point knives and wouldn't mind having one. I have never had a flat grind, and I do want to try one.

I'll give you my critique of the Gerber "Gator": First of all, it is a large knife. Probably larger than most people on this website want. The knife is amazingly light for its size. It could not be described as "heavy" by any stretch of the imagination. Many people would probably be put off by the black, rubbery handle. I am not. We have a saying: "handsome is as handsome does," and this knife "does" what you ask it to do. True the black rubbery handle is not "pretty." But, it is one of the main reasons that the knife is light. The handle is very "grippy" either dry or wet. Also, it is extremely comfortable to use. It is a large handle and should fit the hand of large handed people quite well. I actually have fairly small hands and surprisingly, it fits my hands very well. It is larger than a Buck folder that I also have but the Buck is so heavy that I seldom carry it. The steel of the Gerber is done up in a matte finish that is quite attractive. It sharpens relatively easily and holds an edge very well. It is stainless steel and not tool steel, so that is going to turn off some people as well, but if you are around water very much, and it appears from your blogspot that you are, it would serve you well. I have had mine since it was introduced some years ago, and it looks like it did the day that I bought it. One of the main things I look for in a folder is how does the blade / handle interface work? Specifically, is there any "wobble" or "play?" My knife had no "play" when I got it and still has none. Also, it has a very positive locking mechanism.

I have no connection to Gerber other than owning one of their knives. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would have to rate this knife as a 9. (1 point deduction for the looks of the handle.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE