blade patina and ware question?

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
does it bother you?...
after several hundred extractions and retractions of the sheath some chopping/cutting and rubbing down with fine steel wool to simulate use and cleaning this is what i started with....

and this is what i ended up with... with age the blade would take on a grey patina on top of this and personally it bothers me not a jot, i actually like patina and ware on a blade but wonder if others would find this unacceptable in a working blade i guess?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I've only owned two blades in the past which were coated tactical black i think they called it :lmao: I thought they just looked tatty as it wore down with use exposing the stainless steel and i eventually ended up using wet n dry paper to remove it all, on the other hand i do love the patina that happens on carbon steel blades after heavy use or exposure to acidic conditions

slimshady

Tenderfoot
Oct 29, 2014
Oxfordshire
It wouldn't bother me either.
I'll take it off your hands for further testing though. How about £50 for 20 years and then give it back.

Alex.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
It wouldn't bother me either.
I'll take it off your hands for further testing though. How about £50 for 20 years and then give it back.

Alex.

A thousand quid and then give it back? :rolleyes:

A working blade's a working blade to me and I like to see some heritage.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thanks, im going to make another sheath for it as it seems a little too tight, shouldnt ware the blade this much from use. every thing i tried to loosen it just made it worse...

You can put a patina finish on a carbon steel blade by slathering it with mustard for a few hours - like gun bluing it helps to prevent rust. Or you can use it daily for 10 years or so and carefully wipe it off and oil it after use - there's really nothing like that look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE