Blade Cleaning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Just interested to know how you guys clean the tannin and muck off your (previously shiny) knives, i tend to use the sludge that comes from using a 6000 grit stone and a Nagura Stone when i sharpen my knife/knives.

What do you use?

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Do not get distracted when cleaning your blade.
Yesterday I was cleaning my 9" Stromeng with a little Brunox on a rag and looked up to see what the cat was crying at.
When i looked down the red stuff was everywhere and i hadnt felt a thing as it went through the rag and into my thumb :eek:
Will i never learn :rolleyes:

I use Brunox or WD40 after use and the sludge from a wet stone when im sharpening them.
I dont go mad at cleaning my blades ,i really just oil them as i like the patina carbon gets with use.

rb

J

Josey Wales

Ideal for cleaning the blade is Hob-brite or shiny sinks etc, because they are slightly abrasive just like 6000 grit nagura-sludge thus scraping the grime off.

works well without an adverse effect on the blade,

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I use Astonish like the above but 50p a tub form Wilkinson’s :eek: and a green pan scrubber. If the marks are really bad I use 1200 and 1500 wet and dry wet, polish with Autosol and applly a coat of WD40

James

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Jif works well (or is it cif now)

I used halfords metal polish to sort out my UKPK after it went missing for a while. I've also used the hand cleaner I have for use after doing work on my bike

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
WD-40 works pretty good sometimes. I also use Goo-B-Gone or similar product. You just have to find the right solvent. Acetone is also great as well as brake cleaner which you can buy in auto parts stores.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
rapidboy said:
Yesterday I was cleaning my 9" Stromeng with a little Brunox on a rag and looked up to see what the cat was crying at.
When i looked down the red stuff was everywhere.....

Phew, I thought you'd killed your cat for a moment.

Fenlander's autosol when stropping worked nicely.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Hoodoo said:
I also use Goo-B-Gone

Though that is obviously something that could only exist in the USA! ;)

i use an abracive polish like t-cut or brasso works too these are things that you will have around the house for when its really bad high grade (1500 and up) wet and dry will work followed with a bit of Starkie treatment or toothpaste or the above mentioned! :cool:

always remember that the keen edge is more important than the shiny surface!

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
tomtom said:
Though that is obviously something that could only exist in the USA! ;)

Pretty common stuff around here. They sell it everywhere but it has different names. I looked at one of the bottles I have and it's called GOO GONE. It's the best stuff there is for removing the adhesive left over after a price tag is removed. It does not damange finishes either. I've used it on paper back books after taking the price tag off.

It's sold as Goo B Gone, Goo Gone, Goo Remover, Goof Off and who knows what else. :)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Hoodoo said:
It's the best stuff there is for removing the adhesive left over after a price tag is removed.

its well known in the Tomtom household that Peanut Butter is by far the best thing for that job :cool:

Motorbike Man said:
Very good point, over polishing can take the edge right off of a blade even if you're being careful. Don't ask me how I know :rolleyes:

yeh i have found that tooo ;)

i guess its like all kit, keep it in 'good order' so long as 'goo' on the blade or what ever isnt making it unhygenic :rolleyes: or stopping it working properly.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
****** usually works for me. First the blade, and then the rest. Nice mirror finish usually. :)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I'll give you a clue. It's made of skin and begins with an "S". :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE