Blackthorn wood... when to cut?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi folks.

Having heard some rumours of blackthorn in a couple of places nearby, I've decided to start walking around the area on the lookout for the white flowers, I'll be going for the berries at some point later in the year to make some sloe gin (and maybe jelly, dunno about that yet though) but I'm also thinking of cutting some of the wood to use too.

I'll be making a cane for sure, also maybe some other uses, possibly knife scales (might be making my own knife soonish) or some other bits of kit/tat. I've really not thought it through that far yet.

The main reason for this thread though, is to find out when to cut the stuff. I imagine that the seasons would play a part when it comes to the right time to cut the stuff, so when is the best time to cut? Now? Summer? Later in the year? Or is it as well cutting it at any time?

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hi Bigshot, I'd cut it any time now or up till maybe the end of March. The saps down at the moment and shouldn't start up again, till mid to late March. This means that the wood will be about as dry, internally, as you could hope for.
Once you cut your walking sticks, you need to stash them away for about 12 months to dry them out.
hope this helps
all the best
R.B.

Although bark removal should be easier most forestry work and hedge cutting should be done during the dormant phase over winter for both the trees health (doesn't matter then if it needs removal) and to prevent disturbance to nesting birds. Rule of thumb no cutting from 1st April to the end of September but observation will allow you to work around these times.

hope that helps

Leo

Cheers folks - just what I hoped to find out. It's good to know that now's the time. Nicer to not have to wait so long.

Is there anything I should know about the cutting itself?
Preferred methods, positions, tools and so on?
Any no-no's?

I don't mind taking from nature, but don't want to do it in a way that can cause unnecessary damage.

Also - am I right in thinking the flowers only show once the sap starts to rise? Or are they likely to show up sooner?
Pretty much all I know about Blackthorn is that the flowers show before the leaves, that apparently cuts from the thorns take longer to heal, and that the berries make for a rather agreeable liqueur. ;)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Those thorns really can do some damage. Not trying to be like Fraser (yurr doooomed, arll dooooomed) but I was talking to a bloke only last week. A mate of his was working near a blackthorn hedge, and stumbled into it. A thorn stabbed him right near his elbow. To cut a long story short the infection persisted to the point where he lost his arm.
To cut the stems I wuld use a small saw which will leave a smooth clean cut, secatuers work but on thinner stems. But they would be good to nip the thorns off! I take a pair of wiss tin snips with me. If theres any side branches dont trim right up close to the main stem, leave an inch or 2, so it dries out more evenly. Drying takes time you need to be patient. If you have a garage leave them up in the rafters where they will get airflow and wont get mouldy, but dont force them near a stove or radiator, you will get longitudinal cracks (been there-done it LOL) After a year or more then trim those side branch stumps, kinfe/file etc. Check out some stickmaking sites, some useful tips. Hazel is another great wood to get sticks from. I am going for some in the next few weeks (not for walking sticks but bigger poles for rustic chairs), I get a real buzz from it. Especially as I will be able to see the progress of the hazel stool I cut from last year, looking forward to seeing all those new shoots. And I will be getting some nice big fat sycamore logs to boot....:) Good luck with your cutting expedition!

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
as mentioned anytime before the sap rises, watch out for bird nesting season if your taking alot and if its after march as its a sought after nesting site for many feathered critters due to the thorny protection, the bark harbours a form of mildewy type bacteria that is poisonous, by poisonous i mean it festers and irritates flesh and as previously mentioned can become quite serious (disastrous in an eye etc)

methods - folding saw, snip off thorns but WEAR GLOVES! a pair of shades wont go a miss either! not only will you look cool but it'll stop the monster thorn making a kebab out of your eyes! seal the ends with wood glue when you cut it and you should be laughing!

i normally collect any good bits when doing scrub clearance at work, by far my favorite wood for sticks and looks awesome on a knife handle, i made my friend a plug for his stretched ear out of seasoned and oiled blackthorn wood and he loves it!

hope some of this helps someone!?

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
When I was doing security surveys The guy I worked with used to cultivate and sell tons of blackthorn plants to plant under downstairs windows to deter would be intruders. having snagged myself a few times getting sloes I would think twice about climbing over it to get through the window

mochasidamo

Mar 8, 2010
Montgomery, Wales
Yup, blackthorn's nasty stuff...always seems to get infected really quick: ought to look up the herbalist stuff for anything that might neutralise it for the odd minor prickle. Otherwise handle with welding gloves.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
The stick-making book that I have answers the question "when is the right time to cut wood?" with "when you see it" :D From experience, I think that's probably right, because the chances are you'll never find that stick again!

However, if you can cut in the winter months you dramatically reduce the drying time and there is less chance of splitting.

HTH

Rat

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
with regard to treating the blackthorn induced wounds we have been taught to - remove the thorn when practical and clean the wound with water. Its the stuff that lives on/in the bark that does the infecting so if you remove the bark from the wound by removing the thorn (make sure you dont snap it off) without leaving any in the wound, then just flush it with water to remove the remaining nasties!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Re the blackthorn, yeah it can be a so and so, but also a great plant.
Try to remove any spines right away if you can but otherwise whenever is sensible.

You can tell if your hand/arm etc gets that burny angry sensation, but by then its usually easy to get the thorn out. use some antiseptic and it'll be fine. I read that thats why its called blackthorn because of the loikelyhood of infection, but that was back when savlon wasnt everywhere!

Must have been got by it hundreds of times, with some proper good spines getting bedded in never lost a limb yet! Do be carefull of eyes though!

As for hedges - nice in hedgerows, but not for places you have to manage - electric clippers wont deal with it and you will get scratched quite a bit cutting it in later years!

My great uncle had a hedge planted by my great drandad around their house from foraged bits from the woods, ie blackthorn, hawthawn, and rose. Nice hedge but horrible to cut!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Re the blackthorn, yeah it can be a so and so, but also a great plant.
Try to remove any spines right away if you can but otherwise whenever is sensible.

You can tell if your hand/arm etc gets that burny angry sensation, but by then its usually easy to get the thorn out. use some antiseptic and it'll be fine. I read that thats why its called blackthorn because of the loikelyhood of infection, but that was back when savlon wasnt everywhere!

Must have been got by it hundreds of times, with some proper good spines getting bedded in never lost a limb yet! Do be carefull of eyes though!

As for hedges - nice in hedgerows, but not for places you have to manage - electric clippers wont deal with it and you will get scratched quite a bit cutting it in later years!

My great uncle had a hedge planted by my great grandad around their house from foraged bits from the woods, ie blackthorn, hawthawn, and rose. Nice hedge but horrible to cut!

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
This thread prompted me to go and cut the blackthorn stick I noticed last year. It's gorgeous - a dead straight limb about 8 feet long and 2.5 inches in diameter, which has grown up out of another limb, which will provide plenty of handle. I'm half-tempted to make a wizard's staff out of it next year, but my ankles are giving me gyp and I think a proper blackthorn walking stick will get more use.

woodwalker1987

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2010
essex
thats my kind of project featherstick! made one for my grandad last christmas and he has had loads of use out of it since his leg got dodgy, he likes the rootball handle on it too as it looks 'dangerous'

rare to find a bit that straight too! good luck!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE