Blackthorn wood... when to cut?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
This thread prompted me to go and cut the blackthorn stick I noticed last year. It's gorgeous - a dead straight limb about 8 feet long and 2.5 inches in diameter, which has grown up out of another limb, which will provide plenty of handle. I'm half-tempted to make a wizard's staff out of it next year, but my ankles are giving me gyp and I think a proper blackthorn walking stick will get more use.

Just remember that a wizard's staff has a knob on the end! :D

In my case, a big knob...

Rat

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
as my knees get worse with every passing year i have to use walking poles more often

i have thought about a stick and have always liked the idea of a blackthorn

i thought they were generaly used by the irish rangers(military) though after reading this post i think i will start looking out for a nice blackthorne stick while im out and about now

will i suddenly be gandalf if i start using a stick though ?

featherstick

Forager
May 21, 2008
South East
Blackthorns have a bit of history in Ireland. They were carried as weapons, sometimes to use on the British, sometimes on lads from the next village. "Blackthorns vs Belts" was a well-known phrase which meant the Irish lads swinging blackthorns, the British soldiers swinging their leather belts with big regimental crest buckles on the end. Officers in the Rangers still carry them in place of swagger sticks.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
nice one feather stick you prompted me to have a little search and i found this

The Blackthorn bush is found throughout Ireland and the British Isles. It has been prized for centuries as a material for premium walking sticks. The original Blackthorn sticks were 2 to 4 foot long Irish shillelaghs (the national weapon of rural Ireland). In expert hands the shillelagh was so fearsome that during the final occupation of Ireland, the English outlawed it. To get around the law, the Irish turned the shillelagh into a 3-foot walking stick. The English didn’t want to appear unreasonable by outlawing walking sticks too, so the Irish kept their modified shillelaghs and the world gained a beautiful and functional walking stick known simply as the Blackthorn.

Shillelaghs are traditionally made from blackthorn (sloe) wood (Prunus spinosa) or oak. The wood would be smeared with butter and placed up a chimney to cure, giving the Shillelagh its typical black shiny appearance. Shillelaghs may be hollowed at the heavy "hitting" end and filled with molten lead to increase the weight beyond the typical two pounds; this sort of Shillelagh is known as a 'loaded stick'. They are commonly the length of a walking stick (distance from the floor to one's wrist with elbow slightly bent). Most also have a heavy knob for a handle which can be used for striking as well as parrying and disarming an opponent. Many shillelaghs also have a strap attached (hence the Irish name), similar to commercially made walking sticks, to place around the holder's wrist.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE