blackberry wood !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
Just a quick question for you all ! Today i was pruning my blackberry bush and after cutting off this years fruiting canes and trimming off the side branches iwas lef with some stout pieces of wood apprx 5ft tall and around 4 inch's in circumference.
They are both very stout pieces of wood . What if anything could i make or use them for ?:confused:

cheers andrew.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Anything you can make from a bit of wood that size can probably be made using the bramble wood. Would be interesting to see what It looks like when polished up.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For what I know of it; it's brittle when it dries out. It's not like briar, or like other 'fruit' woods, it's more like the break apart stumps of the old stools of pruned rasps.
Doesn't mean you can't use it, just that it's not like the blackthorn for sticks.
Interested to see what you do make of it though, and how it looks polished up :D

cheers,
M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
To be honest I'd like to see the raw wood. I've only ever seen blackberry bushes get to less than an inch in circumference. never seen a single bush live more than two or three years.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
It would be interesting to see what could be done with it, I have not heard of it being used to make things though must be a good reason

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE