Blackberry Wood, Ditchling, East Sussex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
As promised when I first joined a few weeks ago, a short resume of my experiences at Blackberry Wood which was kindly suggested as a suitable place to take my nephew on a first time overnighter.

Blackberry wood probably will not appeal to the hardened Bushcraft fan, but it is IMO perfect for a short stay or as I did an introduction to camping out over night for youngsters.

I took my nephew (8 years) to BB Wood on the 3rd August, we had a very friendly welcome from the owner Tim (who by the way lived out of his Hammock in Costa Rica for nine months - lucky *** :D ), Tim was witnessed walking people to their pitches as they are all surrounded by undergrowth and a small woodland and can be difficult to locate, Tim also makes all visitors aware of the multitude of footpaths available for short or more strenuous walks, he even gives you directions to the local pub and will leave you with a map of the local area. Fires and BBQ's are allowed and encouraged, you are not allowed to fell trees or collect fire wood from the surrounding woodland, but you can buy bundles of fire wood (we had Birch & Willow) for £ 3.00/sack, I bought two sacks which was enough to keep a fire going from 1pm on Wednesday to 10am on Thursday as long as you are conservative with your usage, we had plenty to make pots of tea and cook the evening meal and brekkies, as well as a small blaze in the darkness last evening, Tim's wife Eva has no objection neither does Tim to you bringing your own firewood on site.

One thing I would recommend is, if you buy the wood from BB Wood, use a small axe (glad I sharpened mine) to chop the wood into smaller chunks as the pieces supplied are in quarters and about 12 inch deep, too big for a small cooking fire, but handy for the evening campfire.

BB Wood has 20 pitches all of which are surrounded by scrub/woodland, very few however lend themselves to hanging a hammock and tarp as they are basically designed for tents, water is available on site, as are very clean male and female toilets (with an amusing anecdote on a sign), male and female showers are available on a timer and cost a mere 20 pence, there is also a washing up area, which is kept clean and tidy.

Myself and nephew had to walk a distance of about 30 yards from the car to our pitch, but once you were there it felt much further than that as they are all nice and sucluded giving the impression that you are much further away from civilisation than you really are, all of the pitches are clean and have benches and a fire pit.

The total cost for myself, nephew and two bags of firewood was £20.00, which I felt was fairly reasonable, as I stated earlier it's not a place for the majority of the users on this site, but it's close enough to home (for me anyway) to stay overnight or use it for a comfortable introduction to BC for the younger generation.

The whole emphasis of the place is to have fun, radios are not allowed and no noise is allowed after 11PM, in Tim's own words "having fun is compulsory at BB Wood”, im not going to disagree with him.

We were lucky enough to have a pitch where I could rig up two hammocks as well as a tent (the hammocks were used for chilling out, nephew preferring to sleep in the tent for his first ever overnighter), even though the place was packed when we were there you could not see the people on adjacent pitches, and it felt as if you were in the middle of nowhere on your todd – wonderful.

We had a great time and I would not hesitate to recommend the place to anyone who wants to introduce someone to outside living or indeed if you just want to get away from it all for a night or two.

I have attached a few photo’s to show our pitch; unfortunately it was so big I could not get it all in on one photo.

Contact details for Blackberry Wood can be found at http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/details.asp?revid=4663

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
I still remember the first time my old dad took me camping... it was in Nightcap National Park in northen NSW (Aus)... I remember the bushwalk we did to Minyon Falls (dad and my sister ate their lunch sitting on the edge - it's about a 100 metre drop - I was freaked they'd fall off and wouldn't go near it), the stew he cooked up... the enourmous Red Belied Black Snake he made us stay and watch baking itself on a road... magic, I couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 years old... you can be sure he'll get the lifelong bug.

red

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
That's a great introduction for your nephew - once he gets hooked on staring into the magic of fires at night he'll be doing it for life...

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
Thanks for making us aware of this lovely site we took my mates boy down on Tuesday 16th and had a great time showing him how to light and keep a fire going i also cooked a huge stew in a cast iron pot which is too heavy to carry far so the adjacent carpark was ideal.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
I've just spent the weekend there as well. I had promised to take some friends out camping. They didn't have much previous experience so this site seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Not too distant and not too "Wild" :) but more importantly you could have an open fire which is a novelty for an organised campsite!!!
I had popped down there last week to have a look around and choose my pitch. Tim and Eva (The owners,) came for a wander around the site to show me the various pitches. They all have names that describe the pitches attributes such as Avalon, wobbly, fruity and Sirius. I chose "Fruity." So called because the pitch is surrounded by blackberrys, apples, hawthorns and blackthorn. It's a lovely site. A large path loops through the woods with pitches located off to either side of the path. Pitches vary from smallish areas surrounded by blackthorn and hawthorn, to quite large pitches amongst the trees. Every pitch was occupied this time but whilst you can hear your neighbours, you don't see them much.
We had a fantastic time. The weather was fantastic and I got to play with my new GB scandinavian forest axe. :D

I can highly recommend thist site if you fancy a campsite with some facilities and some wilderness.

Martin

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
shinobi said:
I've just spent the weekend there as well. I had promised to take some friends out camping. They didn't have much previous experience so this site seemed to fit the bill perfectly. Not too distant and not too "Wild" :) but more importantly you could have an open fire which is a novelty for an organised campsite!!!
I had popped down there last week to have a look around and choose my pitch. Tim and Eva (The owners,) came for a wander around the site to show me the various pitches. They all have names that describe the pitches attributes such as Avalon, wobbly, fruity and Sirius. I chose "Fruity." So called because the pitch is surrounded by blackberrys, apples, hawthorns and blackthorn. It's a lovely site. A large path loops through the woods with pitches located off to either side of the path. Pitches vary from smallish areas surrounded by blackthorn and hawthorn, to quite large pitches amongst the trees. Every pitch was occupied this time but whilst you can hear your neighbours, you don't see them much.
We had a fantastic time. The weather was fantastic and I got to play with my new GB scandinavian forest axe. :D

I can highly recommend thist site if you fancy a campsite with some facilities and some wilderness.

Martin

I also looked at the pitch called fruity, but went for Avalon in the end because i could put a tarp and hammock up for nipper.

Great place though isn't it, shame Tim shuts down for the winter :(

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
maver said:
I also looked at the pitch called fruity, but went for Avalon in the end because i could put a tarp and hammock up for nipper.

Great place though isn't it, shame Tim shuts down for the winter :(
Avalon was already booked :( There was quite a large family in there, but it looked like there was plenty of room for them there.

I spoke to Tim about the winter and he said that the site is closed to the public due to licensing regs, but he did say that it might be possible to stay as a personal friend!!! ;) Watch this space!! :D

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
shinobi said:
Avalon was already booked :( There was quite a large family in there, but it looked like there was plenty of room for them there.

I spoke to Tim about the winter and he said that the site is closed to the public due to licensing regs, but he did say that it might be possible to stay as a personal friend!!! ;) Watch this space!! :D

Be a good place for a meet up during the colder months, wonder how many "friends" he is about to gain :rolleyes:

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
Blackberry Wood is a great place, I've taken the kids there about half a dozen times camping this year. Tim and has wife Eva are very nice and very helpful. As others have commented it's a great place to introduce children to Bushcraft. There is also an excellent pub, The Jolly Sportsman, about half an hours walk away at East Chiltington.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
ranger said:
Blackberry Wood is a great place, I've taken the kids there about half a dozen times camping this year. Tim and has wife Eva are very nice and very helpful. As others have commented it's a great place to introduce children to Bushcraft. There is also an excellent pub, The Jolly Sportsman, about half an hours walk away at East Chiltington.
We wandered across to the Half moon for lunch on Saturday and found that they had a great selection and it tasted great. :) We popped across to the Jolly Sportsman as well for a swift pint on the way home seeing as the weather was so good.

Martin

M

Millbilly

Sound like a nice place for children, or for an easy one nighter. I like the idea of being able to have an open fire, but id have to book in advance to make sure i got a place suitable for a hammock/tarp, as i dont even own a tent... :)
Maybe i could tag along with someone who owns one of them moskoselkattan teppee thingeys... Always wanted to kip in one of those... :D

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I am hoping to head down there this weekend or the next. I want to try out some new hammock set-ups. Can anyone whose been there suggest the names of which pitches would be able to cater for two basha/hammock set ups?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Marts said:
I am hoping to head down there this weekend or the next. I want to try out some new hammock set-ups. Can anyone whose been there suggest the names of which pitches would be able to cater for two basha/hammock set ups?

Avalon would be your best bet, if you look at my original post on this thread i have included a couple of pictures, one showing my tarp & hammock :D

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
I'm glad I saw this thread, nice to find somewhere close by that allows fires etc.
I doubt I'll get there before it shuts this year but it will be a good place to take friends who are curious about bushcraft etc.

M

Millbilly

;) Any chance of us all having a bushcraft uk meet-up, down there during the winter. You know, all private like? :D :D :D

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
maybe any of us who can should aim for the last weekend of september for a pre winter meet and network
mind yu i can see us fighting over pitches - heheheheheh
though probably done very admicably

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Unfortunately the weekend of the weald woodfair they are completely booked up at Blackberry Wood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE