Black Cherry salvage. Lots of pics.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi All,
I have been playing with all of the local woods recently to see how well they handle being made into bows. This one was almost lost when I damage the side of the bow whilst using steam to straighten out a limb, the padding I was using had a wooden chip hidden in it which dug into the side of the bow, I was gutted. The bow was originaly destined for about 55lbs but after removing the damaged area it came in around 45lbs. I am not too distraught as its a pleasure to shoot. No idea what the tip overlays are it was just something from my oops pile, any takers? Black silk backed flipped tips and a light heat treat. Top mid-limb has a little deflex that refused to go away so i just worked around it.
Thanks for looking,

First off the boy making sure my work is Ok before finishing up,
boy.jpg

Unbraced
unbrace.jpg

Temp handle
handle.jpg

Tips
tip.jpg

Standing
standing-1.jpg

Full draw
fd.jpg

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks Mesquite, forgot to say this is (prunus avium) Black cherry just being the name of the bow. Just incase anyone wants to go out there and try the wood out.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Based on how red those tips are I'd say they were made from Padauk, if they darken down to a deep brown colour in the light then it's a safe bet it's Padauk. Best mate made a chessbaord and pieces from that wood a couple of months ago so I know what it looks like. However if it stays red then I'm back to square one.

Gorgeous looking bow though. Hope the quality control officer was impressed too. Cute picture that.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Based on how red those tips are I'd say they were made from Padauk, if they darken down to a deep brown colour in the light then it's a safe bet it's Padauk. Best mate made a chessbaord and pieces from that wood a couple of months ago so I know what it looks like. However if it stays red then I'm back to square one.

Gorgeous looking bow though. Hope the quality control officer was impressed too. Cute picture that.

Thanks, it does seem to want to stay red and the dust was also a cherry red, orrible stuff. It feels very tropical hardwood, who knows :)
Yeah the QC office is very strict ;)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Thanks again, yeah little guy will be using an axe as soon as he is old enough to pick one up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE