bizarre user names amongst us............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hjaltlander

Life Member
Feb 4, 2004
Shetland Isles
Mines is Hjaltlander because....

The old Norse name for the Shetland Isles where i live, is Hjaltland. I'm quarter Norwegian (not sure which quarter though!) and have a bit of an interest in the Vikings.

And like most others i couldn't think of anything else at the time, but i usually find that it is a word/name not taken when i join somewhere.

Cheers, Hjaltlander

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Mine came about by telling a lady friend of a course I went on.

She was most impressed when I told her about how we caught, skinned and ate a squirrels :rolmao:

....I wont be using that as a chat up line again :eek:):

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Bizarre? Can't imagine what you mean...

If you try a 'net search for "Big Jack Brass" and "Gristlegrim" (and possibly "tunnels" "trolls" too) you'll find the origin of my name. Big Jack was the character I ran in an online game Ken St Andre put together for his Tunnels & Trolls RPG. It went pretty well and the back and forth story we created in the game was eventually sold to a science fiction mag in America.

Since then I've found it easy to use for e-mail addresses and so on, as I own the copyright. And in true Blackadder fashion, Jack is short for, um, Jon, which is my name.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
SquirrelBoy said:
Mine came about by telling a lady friend of a course I went on.

She was most impressed when I told her about how we caught, skinned and ate a squirrels :rolmao:

....I wont be using that as a chat up line again :eek:):
Tooo damnnned Riiiiiight Squirrel Breath!! :eek:): :wink:

J

John Burton

Mine is simply because I have eleven (yes, eleven) children, and John had already gone.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Seeing that my family name doesnt exist anywhere else "Rollnick" is never already occupied. The only other "Rollnick" family is in America, and they happened to be the biggest financial donaters to the Clinton campaign. "Rolnik" is my real name meaning farmer in polish, but it was anglasised (?) to fit in when we escaped the Nazis in poland.

BTW for any of you who know Jaco Pastorius, i actually share the same second name as him Pastorius meaning farmer! (And Jaco is almost Jacob)

Jake

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I was rather surprised I could have Andy on here and BB. I'm england_wonder on ebay because it's one of thoughs things where you rearange the letters to get Andrew Longden. I quite like it really

hobbitboy

Forager
Jun 30, 2004
Erm... it's variable
er....mine came from my friends up at the local climbing wall.......it was a statement about my short stature and cos my hair was suprisingly hobbit like not so long ago.........

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
RAPPLEBY2000,

my computer Email address, (RAPPLEBY2000@yahoo.co.uk)
i forget everything, so my get out clause is to use the same name everywhere.
my real name is Richard, my second "Appleby", as well as being a town near scunthorpe, aparently means "apple farm" in scandinavian!
prehaps that's where my family origionates?

Viking may be able to help me out there!

since the BCUKweekend i am thinking of changing my user name to something a little shorter :oops: !

i got a bit tired of saying "RAPPLEBY2000".
any suggestions?

please no flat tyre or mad kiddie jokes!

D

dataphage

I have a brain full of inconsequential detail. My nickname reflects this. It is two ancient greek words:
Data - information (obvious innit?)
Phage - eater or eating (normally used to describe microbes)

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I was in the process of revamping a Martini action rifle when I was trying to come up with a username for the various forums I planned to join. I'm also partial to the odd tipple, an have been known to get seriously bladdered on martinis when drinking on expenses, which started as a joke when the chap I was drinking with said he'd never asked for a vodka martini or heard anyone else for one, so when he asked what I was drinking it had to be "vodka martini please". Trouble was I liked the stuff!

Dave

jakunen

Native
Mine was given me by a 'friend' a few years ago.
I was doing a vert high stress job and used to just take off the weekends with a tarp, a billey, and not much else, to get away and de-stress.

Apparently it's formed from two Japanese words 'Jakunen' and 'Kami' and is supposed to mean 'loney or wandering spirit'.
Apparently he translated it as 'sad git', but that's an academic for you. :wink:

And I got fed up with Hawkeye as people kept making medical jokes (c.f. Franklin Benjamin 'Hawkeye' Pearce from M*A*S*H).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE