bizarre user names amongst us............

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Just thought we best fire this one up again..........for our new members as it is always interesting to find out how we all got our names!

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I've been working in central Shropshire on Wednesdays all summer and watched Peregrine Falcons active each week, then discovered them to be breeding nearby and in three places within 5 miles - unheard of in my lifetime - we used to trek to central Wales for mid-winter views and get really wound up about it. Now I'm just complacent....Just about my favourite bird and the first thing that came into my head when I had to log a username.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Er, you own a helicopter??

Mine is the name of my future self (haha). My aim is to become self sufficient and live in the wilderness (no one knew what i meant so i said "a bit like a hobo" and it stuck), and I love the arctic more than anywhere else in the world, and have been there on four long expeditions.

Reactions: TheGreenMan

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
As a kid I loved the Moomin books. Snufkin was Moomintroll's best friend, kind of a loner he was a tramp who lived in a tent. He also had a cool hat. He was the closest thing to a hero I had as a kid.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
No. Nothing to do with James Bond movies other than Ian Fleming used the name for one of his books (which is nothing like the movie anyhow ;-)).

It comes from an old West Country story of the 'Moonraker' - the smuggler who outwitted the excise man.
Many years ago, when smuggling was rife, some Wiltshire men were bringing home kegs of illegal brandy by moonlight. Crossing a bridge the donkey drawing the cart bolted and the barrels fell into the stream below.

While the yokels were trying to rescue the barrels with some hay rakes they found nearby, an excise officer rode up and started asking questions. The quick thinking yokels explained that they were raking for the cheese they could see in the water. The “ziseman”, taken in by the story rode off thinking the stupid yokels were raking at the shadow of the moon. The floating barrels were soon retrieved and the title “Moonraker” has been linked to Wiltshire folk ever since.
moonraker.jpg

source: Stained glass window of the Moonraker pub in Chippenham, Wiltshire. Gilroy Stained Glass

Well actually I was born in true smuggling country down in Weymouth, Dorset not Wiltshire but lived there for many years. I used the name for various online activities which fitted the role many moons ago :wink: and was my gaming clan name *LuNa*Moonraker.

nomade

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 8, 2004
Sutton (Surrey, UK)
Thanks Moonraker, you've answered the queston I have been asking myself the first time I saw your name and since! Found it very poetical anyway, but the story behind it is quite something!

Nomade is the French spelling for nomad. Originally I wanted the name of some nomadic tribe with a great lifestyle and tradition and then "nomade" was including them all so I took it.

Nomads are hunters-gatherers or herdsmen of semi-wild animals they follow in their migrations. They are the only human group who leave the environment intact and truly live as humans as just one of the species with its own niche like any other, no more no less. This is what i meant to identify with.

Nomads are few and far between nowadays, being part of our shrinking wilderness...

tenbears10 said:
One of my friends favorite phrases after a particularly heavy night on the sauce was that he was rough as 10 bears, as it seemed to be me who was the roughest more often than not (I was young it's not big and clever) I got the nickname.

The first time I needed a user name I thought of tenbears and it was already taken so it had to be tenbears10.

So nothing to do with any cool native American heritage I'm afraid.

Bill

By the way. There is a movie character in the states with the same name. He is a great indian chief in the movie "The Outlaw Josey Whales."

Is is an American Western Classic.

Mine came from the title of a book written by a local author.

The main character was born in Maine and it describes his life "growing up in the woods."

It really demonstrates the differences in the way Maine is "now" and the way Maine "was" not to long ago.

I also like the sound of it..............

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
nomade said:
Thanks Moonraker, you've answered the queston I have been asking myself the first time I saw your name and since! Found it very poetical anyway, but the story behind it is quite something!
I always find local history and lore interesting and often interwoven into places names, legend and the landscape it is good that they continue in local usage :)

Also one of my relatives was reckoned to be a highwayman so it is quite appropriate :wink: (actually they included C18th peruke makers from Reigate but that's another story)

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Because I aquire the disposition of a "surly" (garou) wolverine (carcajou) in temperament when upset by ***** encountered in the bush who know all of it but have no respect for nature or others.
just a thought

Reactions: TheGreenMan

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
When the ZXR750 motorcycle first came out... One of these
zxr750.jpg

I raced one from Matlock in Derbyshire, to Disley on a 22 year old Honda 750/4 One of these.......
cb750-4.jpg

AND WON !!

One of my mates said the way I was riding was mad....Hence Mad Dave

I suppose doing a naked wheelie past the Bull 'ith' Thorn pub Near Ashbourne may have contributed to it as well :icon_redf

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
I was born and grew up in a country whose north eastern border was defined by the mighty Zambezi. Although a city dweller then, some of my most poignant African memories are of nights spent on that river.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE