Bivy bag and tarp what do you recommend?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 21, 2013
Gloucestershire
I need a new sleep system and I am interested in a bivvy however I don't think I will have enough space to be comfortable so I was thinking a tarp but I don't use hiking poles so I don't know what to do. I don't usually camp in woods. Please help

Last edited:

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well if you don't camp much in the woods then a tent is your best option really. Lots of options depending on your budget, my hiking tent is a Wild Country Zephyros 2 which I'd happily recommend.

I like bivvi's too but use it in conjunction with a small tarp (suspended from my walking poles), that said I just have a modded ex-army one. Hooped bivvi's are more like very small tents.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Not owned either but the Hunka is pretty highly regarded, but I'd get the Hunka XL. Only seen the Gelert in a camping shop, its tiny, can't comment on the quality.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Why do you need hiking poles? I've never used them and have used a tarp regularly.

To suspend the tarp from if there's no trees (op said he doesn't camp in the woods), any old poles would do but I hike with walking poles...

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Just a bivvy bag and a mat if you feel luxurious. I have wondered about an umbrella recently which if self-supporting might be handy.
My bag is a Trekmate bought for £15 from TK-Max

Last edited:

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
Bivvy poles are cheap and light compared to a tent. Id go for the bivvy and tarp to stay out of the elements. Bivvy poles are about £10-15.
But if your sleeping on open ground (if you are). Do you want every dog walker and farmer etc Seeing you asleep? If not a tent is the way to go.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Was going to recommend a fox basha Until I checked out the latest prices. Wow those have gone up.

So go with Copperhead recommendation or surplus poncho

mountaingoat1

Jul 19, 2013
UK
In my experience, spending to get a nice bivy meant not needing a tarp to take up extra space and weight in my pack. A friend recommended an Outdoor Reserach bivy and I have been happy with the purchase.

NGM6456

Mar 24, 2014
United Kingdom
You don't really need both a bivi bag and a tarp in my experience; a bivi bag is an unnecessary expense if the tarp keeps you dry the bivi bag is obsolete. You can get sleeping bags with water repellent uppers so there is no really need for a bivi imho.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I use the US modular bivvy bag, with one of the sleeping bags, a thermarest, issue basha over me and IPK sheet on the floor. I do have the choice of a DD 4x4 but its too big for sneeky camping

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I usually take a bivvy and tarp. I use a british army dpm goretex bivvy you can pick them up fairly cheaply now. If I think the weather is going to be fine I just use the bivvy. I use a Nomad siliconised tarp which I have had no issues with.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE