Bivvy Technique. :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FishMark

Aug 29, 2014
South Downs
I have a British Army Bivvy bag with drawstring and a mummy sleeping bag.

My 'usual' mode of use is to sleep with no tarp so I get 360 view, which is nice. :D

My problem is I'm not a contortionist so once I'm fully zipped in the sleeping bag with the sleeping bag hood drawstring closed I can't easily get to the bivvy bag drawstring to pull that tight.

As Autumn arrives and there's more dew I might want the drawstrings of the Bivvy Bag and Sleeping bag tight to keep warm and the dew off.

Is there a technique to achieve this without being a Houdini-like escape artist?

I don't really want to go down the tarp/hoop route.

Thanks in advance.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
Pull the bivvy bag draws strings first then get yer arms inside the sleeping bag and sort the sleeping bag draw strings. You're doing it back to front.

FishMark

Aug 29, 2014
South Downs
Pull the bivvy bag draws strings first then get yer arms inside the sleeping bag and sort the sleeping bag draw strings. You're doing it back to front.
Yep thats the answer

Thanks Dave and Mike, I feel a bit bashful that I didn't think of that.

Place a umbrella over your head

That's a frighteningly good idea. I carried an umberella all day on Sunday on a long walk when it rained all day and it deffo saved me a soaking. I'd guess a golf brolly can be a pole for a tarp and on a light wind night can go over your face. I don't know if your post was a pi55take but a brolly strikes me a great bivvying tool.

Last edited:

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Use my brolly loads.....especially for bushcraft, makes fire lighting in heavy rain much easier. The Gurkha's are very partial to a brolly and I sort of took a leaf out of their book :)

Have to admit, never thought of incorporating one into a bivvi bag to give a "hooped" bivvi effect though...it sounds daft, but it might just work :)

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Can also help to replace the issue bootlace and woggle arrangement with smoother running paracord and a decent cord grip. That makes cinching the top of the bag up easier and more effective. I went one further and used some 2mm dyneema cord. Result is almost friction free cinching and much less "cord caterpillar" as the size of the hole reduces.
All the best.

FishMark

Aug 29, 2014
South Downs
Can also help to replace the issue bootlace and woggle arrangement with smoother running paracord and a decent cord grip. That makes cinching the top of the bag up easier and more effective. I went one further and used some 2mm dyneema cord. Result is almost friction free cinching and much less "cord caterpillar" as the size of the hole reduces.
All the best.

Thanks a lot. On reflection, friction pulling the opening closed is actually quite a big part of my problem.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
If you use the bivvy bag upside down you can use the hood to cover your head without tightening any drawstrings at all. It works for me :)

Angry Pirate

Forager
Jul 24, 2014
Peak District
If you use the bivvy bag upside down you can use the hood to cover your head without tightening any drawstrings at all. It works for me :)
That's kinda what I do. I tend to curl up into a foetal ball with the hood cinched up but with the hole facing down. Sorts breathability and is nicely waterproof.
Have to say I love the idea of the brolly though and I'm going to swap the cord for some decent 550 now - been using the issue bivi for years and that had never occured to me. Thanks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE