Bivvy bag and tarp or tent?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AdMan

Mar 19, 2013
Halifax
Hi, I was wondering what everyone thought about the idea of a Snugpak Stratosphere and a Alpkit rig7 or a Vango Banshee 200. I like to go light weight and this bivvy bag is hooped so it offers much better protection than a standard bivvy and i will have a tarp.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I have a banshee 200 and they are great little tents, still not ultralight though. what does the bivvy setup come in at. If weight is the issue id go with the lightest setup

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
probably around the 90-100 quid mark for the bivvy/ tarp setup, the problem with the stratosphere is unless you have a small pack youre going to struggle to fit it in with you so you have to start leaving stuff outside.

ive got one and use it a lot for overnighters/ weekends in the summer months. ive used it in the winter with a bigger bag inside and its fine its just the storage space issue.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
I use the Stratoshere with a tarp all year round, but only if I can't hang my hammock.

With a well set up tarp, you have plenty of admin space and a bug free bed in the bivvy bag.

Best of all worlds IMHO.
WoodloreBushcraftFundamentals-Aug2009006.jpg

WoodloreBushcraftFundamentals-Au-1.jpg

Simon

AdMan

Mar 19, 2013
Halifax
Hi guys, well the problem with storage space is fine because i have a alpkit gourdon 30 so i can put everything in there amd it will stay dry and the banshee was a option because it does seem great value for the price but i think im going to buy a hunka because i am doing the welsh ride thing with some friends and i need to go fairly lightweight, got my pack to around 4kg with 1l water and food :D

AdMan

Mar 19, 2013
Halifax
But i have bought a strat already if you where wondering, i thought i mentioned it in the original post but yep its great just a vit heavy compared to the hunka

Ben98

Forager
Jun 30, 2010
West Yorkshire
The hunka will serve you well young padawan (assuming they get them back in stock)
In all honesty the banshee is to heavy for most things compared to a tarp/bivi combo, and you have to spend a fair wack of money on a tent to rival the weight of a hunka+rig7
And the stratosphere is a good thing (I've finally made my mind up about it), and I like the principal, but its issue is the lack of space to sit in the evenings (or when it rains). But the stratosphere and the tarp is a good idea, mabey just getting slightly heavy
Atb
Ben

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE