bivi bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martin-123

Jul 1, 2011
Essex
This thread is just what I need. I've been looking at bivvi bags to use (with a tent) on a trip to Iceland.

I looked at the Hunka but since I tend to sweat heavily I was put off by this statement:

Current Gore-Tex/eVent air permeable bivvy fabric has a moisture vapour transmission rate (MVTR) of 25,000. As a comparison old Taslan Gore-Tex weighed in at around 15,000 and our fabric is about 10,000. In real terms this means that if you are not breathing into it, then it is breathable enough. In some conditions you will get condensation on the inside of the fabric but for most people this seems to be manageable.

Any other heavy sweaters out there, care to comment? Thanks.

Mart

There's no substitute for experience.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I used to use the Rab SZ one (blue not the lighter but not as good red one). I replaced with the Rab storm and find that has a bad condensation issue inside sometimes. The Rab SZ never had that. The Pertex shield is a lot better than the fabric used in the storm (which was £35 but only in red and the older model).

As far as the ALpkit hunka goes the standard is a lot shorter than the Rab SZ and even the hunka XL is really only the same sort of size in use to the Rab SZ. A mate has the hunka and he was a little wet inside when I was totally dry in my Rab SZ. The fabric is marginally lower performance in the hunka. FWIW I'd prefer to spend on the SZ but keeping an eye out for it and willing to wait you can often get the Rab SZ blue version at similar prices to the hunka anyway. IIRC mine cost £40 from F&T and is similar to the XL in size which at the time was the same price.

One thing I will say about the blue bivvy is whilst not truly stealthy green, blue is quite a discrete colour. I have a photo I took of where me and a mate bivvied under a tarp in a flying V so half our bivvies were in the open. It was straight into the bivvy from at most a couple of hundred metres away. You couldn't see the blue bag but the black of the hunka was visible and the green of the tarp was not. All in all the blue bivvy and green tarp were not that obvious. Now my red bivvy Rab storm that is nice and obvious. There are times its good to be seen.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
endicotts got the brand new jack pyke woodland cammo bivi reduced at the minute at £ 29.99 i ordered one this mourning so i can let u know what its like by friday !
the usual applies i am not linked to endicotts blah blah blah ! lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE