Bivi bag question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harald

Jan 4, 2010
Belgium
I've been surching for a good bivi bag and have come up with some Terra Nova bivis, the Jupiter, Saturn and Titan. They aren't cheap but I want something really reliable.
Does somebody know other good bivi bags and what of the above is the best?

Thank you in advance for the replies :You_Rock_

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I picked up a hooped bivi of ebay last year, a definate improvment(in my opinion)over one of the military bivi's. Mine's a phoenix phoxhole in gortex. I also have a terra nova quaser tent, so if their bivi's are as good as the tents they'll be excelent.

Rob

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
Go for the army issue goretex bag. They are really breathable. I've slept all night with the head hole closed tight on mine with no condensation problem.

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
You can also buy a sleeping bag which has a dryloft shell or gore windstopper. These are water repellent and breathable. Not as waterproof as a goretex bivy, but I assume you wouldn't be using the bag without a tarp or tent. The dryloft or gws sleeping bag ways less then a sleeping bag + bivy bag but they add around 100$ to the price of a bag. The Western Mountaineering Lynx SDL is an example of such a sleeping bag.

http://www.getout.se/item.asp?katid=141&item=13246

Or the antelope GWS

http://www.westernmountaineering.co...re Windstopper Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=49

The downside is that there are some reports of the Dryloft delaminating if the bag is washed.

Last edited:

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
You can also buy a sleeping bag which has a dryloft shell or gore windstopper. These are water repellent and breathable. Not as waterproof as a goretex bivy, but I assume you wouldn't be using the bag without a tarp or tent. The dryloft or gws sleeping bag ways less then a sleeping bag + bivy bag but they add around 100$ to the price of a bag. The Western Mountaineering Lynx SDL is an example of such a sleeping bag.

http://www.getout.se/item.asp?katid=141&item=13246

Or the antelope GWS

http://www.westernmountaineering.co...re Windstopper Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=49

The downside is that there are some reports of the Dryloft delaminating if the bag is washed.
That looks a warm bag mate , how much r they ...

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
ive got the terra nova jupiter bivi bag, but i would go for the terra nova titan bivi bag if i had the choice now, the jupiter has a pole to lift the bag above the head, i dont use this now as i prefer to lie with my head out the bag and the titan has a L shaped zip which makes it easier to get in.

But if you are not used to sleeping on the ground in a bivi the jupiter might be the better option, although i now use a Duluth long canvas bedroll as its more spacious...

hope this helps in some small way..

Colin

Harald

Jan 4, 2010
Belgium
ive got the terra nova jupiter bivi bag, but i would go for the terra nova titan bivi bag if i had the choice now, the jupiter has a pole to lift the bag above the head, i dont use this now as i prefer to lie with my head out the bag and the titan has a L shaped zip which makes it easier to get in.

But if you are not used to sleeping on the ground in a bivi the jupiter might be the better option, although i now use a Duluth long canvas bedroll as its more spacious...

Colin

Definatly helps! Was really doubting which one I would by best.
Have you ever made a small review about the Terra Nova Jupiter or can you just say the plus and min points?

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
Hey Harald,

For the Dutch Army ones you could also try some militairy dumps in The Netherlands, but I've never seen a modified one here in NL like the one Endicotts sell.

The one I have comes from Dump 2000 in Rotterdam and costs about € 20-25.

Last edited:

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Any talior should be able to sew a zip in for you for a few quid, just need to buy the bag and the zip.

E

ESLRaven

Colin

Whoa spooky - 'cos as I was reading this I was thinking "my Jupiter is bombproof but I never use the pole any more so I'd get the one without a pole if I bought a new one".

Turns out the Titan is the one I'm thinking of so that makes 2 of us!

In case you were thinking 'what are the advantages of the pole?' - I got this bivvy so I could zip it up well in very poor conditions (not keen on the drawcord style of bivvy without a tarp or other shelter) and have a small amount of clearance around the head but found out that my pack/bag performs the same function when stuffed in the hood area, allowing the weight/space of the pole to be saved.

Hope that adds to your thoughts.

Harald

Jan 4, 2010
Belgium
Whoa spooky - 'cos as I was reading this I was thinking "my Jupiter is bombproof but I never use the pole any more so I'd get the one without a pole if I bought a new one".

Turns out the Titan is the one I'm thinking of so that makes 2 of us!

In case you were thinking 'what are the advantages of the pole?' - I got this bivvy so I could zip it up well in very poor conditions (not keen on the drawcord style of bivvy without a tarp or other shelter) and have a small amount of clearance around the head but found out that my pack/bag performs the same function when stuffed in the hood area, allowing the weight/space of the pole to be saved.

Hope that adds to your thoughts.

Definatly, only now I've got to find a seller who sells it not to expensive, in green and ships to Belgium.

Hangman

Tenderfoot
Jasper at Strikeforce Supplies http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php occasionally gets the old SAS hooped bivi bag, it's worth phoning as they are not always on the website.

It's old British army issue, double hooped so a bit like a tunnel tent long enough for a 6 footer to sleep in with space for kit as well. The base is a very heavy rubberised material and the outer is a Gore-Tex body. I've had mine for years and is a bloody good piece of kit.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v298/27/103/723504809/n723504809_1268103_1299.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rare-SAS-Spec...a_LE?hash=item3ca11b72ca&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I gather that the Dutch army do a similar bag with a single hoop at the head end only.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE