Bivi Bag Bugs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Hi,

I have just got hold of a army bivi bag to try out. I have never slept on the ground without a tent to protect me from bugs, etc.

I don't really like the idea of insects crawling into my bag during the night. Is this a problem? I was planning try it out in scotland.

Pete

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
In Scotland you will need some kind of midge net over you, unless you are winter biviying. As for bugs crawling in, I have never found it to be a problem. If the idea of bugs bothers you get a hammock, then you are off the floor away from any creepy crawlies. A bandana with a bit of deet on it tied round your neck also helps keep the more determined ticks away. Main thing is enjoy it! Dont let the bugs bug ya ;)

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
a good tip is to carry a set is disposable ear plugs or some cotton wool should something attempt to get in your ear you'll probably wake up but you'll have the means to stop it and go back to sleep

James

tedw

Settler
Sep 3, 2003
Cambridgeshire, UK
Things will get in with you. On the Woodlore Fundamentals in May this year, almost all of us got at least one slug crawling into our sleeping bags when we bivvied out :eek: . Yeuch, but they don't bite so it's not really a problem - especially when you're tired enough. As has been said, if it really worries you, get a hammock and/or a fully enclosing midge net (and, for Scotland, make sure it's midge, not just mozzie, proof! ;) ).

Enjoy!

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Thanks for the replys. I have a hammock as well, planned to try both and see what I thought. I would like the option of a bivi bag. I will have to see how it goes

I might have to sleep standing up, heh.

Pete

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
After my first bivi and tarp nights out, I took the bivi home to clean it.

I scrubbed away at one slug trail that headed for the opening, about where my open mouth would have been.

Now, was I dreaming about eating small sponges that night, or was it another night?

Urrggghhhhh!!!!

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
Scuba Pete said:
Hi,

I have just got hold of a army bivi bag to try out. I have never slept on the ground without a tent to protect me from bugs, etc.

I don't really like the idea of insects crawling into my bag during the night. Is this a problem? I was planning try it out in scotland.

Pete

I wouldn't worry about the bugs/midgies/mozzies its the snakes you gotta beware of, they love a nice warm place to sleep :eek:

As has been said, pull on a midge net, pull the draw cord up snug and go to sleep. Try not to worry about bugs getting in, I've never had any problems in that respect, even when not using a bivi bag. if bugs annoy you, then keep using the tent, or a mossi net, gathered underneith the bivi bag. Remenber, you are probably a lot more deadly than most of the Bugs you will encounter in Scotland.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I'd be more worried about waking up airborne...Them Scots midges are big beasties at this time of year, so pack a parachute as well...;)

LS

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Slugs on the head, snakes, its not sounding to good I have to say. I think I will have to dig a moat.

I wanted the choice of a hammock or a bivi bag, but the bivi bag is not sounding too good, heh.

I have an insect net on the way from the group buy, it sounds like that will offer some protection.

Pete

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Pete, Don't worry about bugs. There's not much to worry you at night in a bivvy bag. Midges will be annoying, but it's likely you'll live to see the morning. My fave bivy spot is under a yew. Nice and dry. You scrape a nice comfortable patch of the leaf litter away to about the size of your tarp, (dont dig into the earth - roots are shallow, and don't spread it about - just push it to the side where you can use it again when you de-camp and cover your tracks). You're making a clean pitch with no surprises and not much fodder for wee beasties to be interested in eating, hiding under, crawling across etc. I don't know if this is the ecological way of doing things, but it helps me get a decent night's sleep.

In a bivy bag - you'll be the biggest, scariest maggot out there.

How about a new topic: interesting things found in, on or near your bivvy bag in the morning?

For me its:
Fresh deer spoor two feet away from my head - I wish I'd been awake to see the animal.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
In may, I was brushing down my bivvy bag and it was covered in deer hair, I felt really guity about stealing their great spot then.

How about a new topic: interesting things found in, on or near your bivvy bag in the morning?

For me its:
Fresh deer spoor two feet away from my head - I wish I'd been awake to see the animal.[/QUOTE]

BobFromHolland

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 9, 2006
Rotterdam, NL
I just bought a new looking second hand GoreTex bivvy bag from an army dump store for €40,- not a bad price I guess.
The only thing I noticed was that it only closes with a hand full of velcro patches. I would assume a nicely closed bag is preferable? Or is this the downside of ex-army bivvy's? I can imagine a soldier wanting to get out of his bag with the least kind of trouble.

any idea's?

Bob

Brian

Settler
Nov 6, 2003
Saltburn
Bob,

Yours is a little different to the one we get here, we get a bag with an opening at the top which is supposed to close using a draw cord at the head end. I've never had much of a problem with slugs and beasties while sleeping, it's probably because I roll around so much in my sleep. :D

Brian

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Well, I am going to give it a shot and she what its like. I am not really bothered with insects, but I dont want to wake to find something in my mouth, lol.

I have got an insect net comming from the group buy. Would someone explain the best way to set it up with a bivi bag. I never thought of using it that way. Midges dont need to attack me much, but never say never.

Thanks

Pete

A couple of months ago I was woken at about 2am by a scream from my mate, a slug had oozed it's way on to his face, I found this highly amusing. The next night unknown to me a slug made its way onto the top of my bivi bag, I was a little uncomfortable and lifted my head to adjust the pile of clothes I was using as a pillow, as I did so I found myself lip to slug. I can still feel it now if I think about it, drat I just started thinking about it.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
on my fundamental bushcraft course this june a couple of the blokes got slugs in thier face. Fortunately I didnt as I have developed a pathological (homicidal?) dislike of the slimey little b*****ds after an unpleasent incident rock climimg in Norway.

My advice - get a hennessy. or bivvy in the desert ;-)>

Nick

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Hitch-hiking around France, I won the toss and got the bench of a bus shelter. My mate got the floor, and woke up looking as though someone had been writing Arabic all over his sleeping bag in silver felt tip.
He got the last laugh a few days later, when I was thrown out of Monte Carlo for looking too unsavoury due to mosquito bites.

I've woken with deer next to my bivvy, but none cr***ed on me. And once got a bit of a shock to see by candlelight the size of the spiders sharing our shack in Amazonas. I can see where Geiger got his inspiration for Alien.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE