Bivi Bag Bugs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
BobFromHolland said:
I just bought a new looking second hand GoreTex bivvy bag from an army dump store for €40,- not a bad price I guess.
The only thing I noticed was that it only closes with a hand full of velcro patches. I would assume a nicely closed bag is preferable? Or is this the downside of ex-army bivvy's? I can imagine a soldier wanting to get out of his bag with the least kind of trouble.

any idea's?

Bob

The dutch army bivy is ment as a outercover for a M90 sleepingbag. The sleepingbag can be attached to the bivy, so you can use one zipper for both of them. Making exiting much faster easier. The velcro is just as a storm cover. Most people sewn in a zipper in to the dutch army bivy cover. I did, well atleast i let my mother sewn it...

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
Scuba Pete said:
Slugs on the head, snakes, its not sounding to good I have to say. I think I will have to dig a moat.

I wanted the choice of a hammock or a bivi bag, but the bivi bag is not sounding too good, heh.

I have an insect net on the way from the group buy, it sounds like that will offer some protection.

Pete

don't worry mate, it's part of the fun. Really, that slug on your head won't kill you. Just have a good laugh afterwards and enjoy the looks on other people's face when you tell them these stories. Just the ticks and mosquito's are a pain...

A bivy is the greatest thing for colder month, while the hangmat is more of a summerthing.

cheers,

Tjin

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Thanks for all the info. I assume that a scottish winter will kill any bugs.

I was just reading the ticks thread, I have never had one before, but I think its going to give me nightmares.

Can ticks get in your bivi?

I think I should stop reading, I am becomming paranoid, heh.

Pete

SowthEfrikan

Tenderfoot
Jul 9, 2006
Texas, USA
Thought of getting a bivy bag but whimped out for a Henry Shires Tarptent Squall 2. Worried a bivy would be claustrophobic and not up to scratch in severe weather. The tarptent weighs little, is simple, and works like a bomb.

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Scuba Pete said:
Well, I am going to give it a shot and she what its like. I am not really bothered with insects, but I dont want to wake to find something in my mouth, lol.

I have got an insect net comming from the group buy. Would someone explain the best way to set it up with a bivi bag. I never thought of using it that way. Midges dont need to attack me much, but never say never.

Thanks

Pete
I also have a net from the group buy and have used it with a bivi. Your best bet is to play with the net when you get it & try different pitching methods, take your time and get it just right. A midge free night is well worth the effort.
IMG_5871.jpg

IMG_5865copy.jpg
[/IMG]

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Yarrow, Sometimes I have the weight of the world on my sholders, does that mean I own the the world? :)

I like the look of your setup, I will give it ago.

Pete

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
Scuba Pete said:
Yarrow, Sometimes I have the weight of the world on my sholders, does that mean I own the the world? :)

Pete

Last time I checked the world belonged to me! So relax and take the world off your sholders ;) :p

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
a can't believe how many slug incidents there are! :lmao:
prehaps a select group called the "snug as a slug" should be started! :lmao:

also i can't believe no ones mentioned simply putting a scarf over your face!

i don't mean a wool winter one, more an arabian shamagh you now the ones, 1m square of cotton with patterns , nice and cool, sand, bug proof and slug resistant! if you'e really worried use a headover ain't nothin getting through them!

as for nasty incidents with bugs, the worst i've heard of involves a mate of mine and a spider!
basically he woke to find a large live spider in his mouth and vomited instantly! :lmao: nice!

reading all these posts is probably putting virgin Bivibaggers off... please don't be too worried, we all learn stuff as we go along!

a good book to read is this:
The book of the Bivvy follow the link below for more info!
link to Bivi bag book thread!

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
My wife has a good story while backpacking in the Grand Canyon.

Waking up in her sleeping bag during the night she noticed that a Rattlesnake had made itself comfortable and curled up on top of the bag with her inside. She just went back to sleep and in the morning the snake was gone...

Phew!

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I have to say it does put me off. lol

How the hell could she goto sleep with a rattlesnake on her sleeping bag.

Pete

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
What the.... :eek: :notworthy :notworthy :notworthy much much respect! to your wife! :You_Rock_
after careful consideration there are 3 ways of dealing with this situation:

1: (think)
It's not real, Imust be dreaming, I am dreaming........ZZZZZZ

or

2: (whisper)
It's a snake!, It's a snake!, It's a snake! .........(and faint!)

or

3: (thrash about wildly and shout)
AAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHELPGETMETHECHUFFOUTOFHEREAAAAAAAAGGGHH!!!!!...............bite......ouch.....die!

my personal favourite is number 1, though to be fair 2 and 3 would be strong contenders! :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I've had a stag beetle in my bivvy whilst on exercise in Germany, complete with the antlers/horns/pinchers or whatever they're called on a stag beetle. :eek: Thankfully I noticed it before I got in.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I agree with all the 'above' comments, imho a full blown net is cumbersome and you should have your headnet with you anyway and if you have your hammock then you can crawl inside that as well. hammocks and bivvy bags are a dangerous combination as it takes a serious amount of shuffling to get into both and you'ld better pray you dont need a pee in the night. hammocks also take some getting used to and often hurt the back or knees till you learn how to sleep diagonally in them. the best thing is to pack the lot then if you dont like the hammock you can drop to the floor and your waiting kip mat.

shemags are a brilliant bit of kit and well worth every penny.

ticks will get you wherever you are if you dont prepare for them sheep/deer ticks like to hang out on the tips of tall grasses and pick you up when you pass by so often they're on your kit and you take them to bed with you, repellant on the trouser cuffs helps a little - if you pick them up you'll find them normally under the armpits, behind the knees, crook of the elbow or in the groin they breath through their bottoms as well as their heads so slap some vasoline or any greasy cream on them with a plaster and they should work out, if you get them quick enough and before they have swelled or the would has you can often pluck them off witt tweezers or a multitool - most insects dont like unwashed smokey flavoured skin though so hunker down over that fire pit and get stinky :)

also a small smokey fire will help keep the mossies away from the bivvi and sweeping the area of leaf litter will help with the slugs and beetles. the worst thing I've woken up to was a family of german wild pigs rummaging around the shell scrape - great big tusker with 20 odd wives an 40 odd kids according to the forest rangers next day.

as for slugs - gathering food in your sleep - true bushcraft mastery that and if you want scary bed partners look up camel spider :eek: the lads in iraq have to dig them out of their bags at bed and boots at breakfast

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
Dont worry about bugs in this country too much, slugs can be a pain but only because the slug trails are a pain to wash

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Heh, well I will give it a go.

I went up to loch lomond and used my hammock. I liked it alot and did not suffer any ill effects. I got a bivi bag so that I could give that a test, but I have my doubts about it now, heh. I thought I could use the bag if I knew there would be a shortage of trees.

It was great fun, I think I will still give the bivi a go. It does not weigh much and it made a nice water proof covering for my sleeping mat. (While tied to rucksac)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE