Bit of a downer, one way and another.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Been missing from the boards for several weeks, have been in and out of hospital being checked out for this that and whatever, tubes and cameras shoved hither and thither, ghastly scanning machines like hi-tech coffins to be whizzed in and out of.

Anyway, turns out that my outdoors days are at an end, never going to be up to it again apparently. Guns sold, ammo disposed of, certificates turned in. Fishing and camping gear to be going on Ebay soon. I'll have some knives to flog on the classified boards here.

I'm not sorry for myself, but I wanted to remind you all, don't let a day go by when you don't have to; they have a way of going into short supply. Pack a bag and get out there whilst yet you can.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hey My Friend, thought you had been quiet, we had some great chats and banter about all the things we were going to do, you being so close and all!

Brave man for letting us know, and although we hadn't got round to meeting in the flesh, as it were, like loads on here you have a certain bond.

Sorry to hear your news, and hope you get your head around it, there are lots of people on here, closer than you think, so if steam needs to be let off, fire away.

Keep strong my friend, and chat soon.

Kindest Regards.

Ivan...

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
That sounds serious.

It's a funny thing about web forums; you feel empathy for people you will never meet.

That must hurt like hell; I hope the pain eases.

Best Wishes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Really sorry to hear this and truly wish you only well.

That said, there are a lot of us carrying injury, long term illnesses, physical limitations, etc., and we still get out and about. Not as much as we'd like, not as widely as we would wish, but there's still a pleasure in enjoying both the outdoors and company of good people :D

Why not take a little of your own advice.....away and have a brew with Ivan or someone else nearby-ish ? Keeping the mind and the psyche contented really does help the downer of physical limitations :)

atb,
Mary

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm sorry to hear that Bear,

As Mary said a lot on here are not 100%, and there's nothing we can really say, but we can listen. Having a sounding board can be a wonderful thing for the relief of frustration, fear and anger. And I don't know you may be able to tailor what you do or do it vicariously through other trips like I did for a while. Though that too is frustrating at first, I left for ages before coming back.

I hope things start to turn for you, and that those around you help in the ways they can.

All the best Colin.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
You should get out to some of the meets I go to, its like an Elephants grave yard or knackers yard if you prefer :naughty:
Going to get some stick for that next time I am out but it doesnt take much to sit by a fire, have a few drinks and chew the fat.
If your upto it whittle, sew and learn something new.

It all sounds like a huge adjustment has been thrust upon you my deepest sympathies.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Thanks for the positive responses and encouragement folks. Have a bit of motor control difficulty, hence the need to get my gats sold as a spasming trigger finger isn't that great an idea (if the police take them for 'safekeeping' you tend to get them back rusted solid). Same issue with the knives really. Then again, you've encouraged me to hang on until the summer at least and see if things pick up. In the meantime (when the temp picks up a bit) I might try for a night out on a farm owned by a friend and see how I manage.

Cheers folks. Diamonds, you lot.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Very sorry to hear that old bean!

As Toddy says, perhaps you can continue but in a more low key way?

All the very best
Andy

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I thought long and hard about whether to add my thoughts here. After all we have never met or conversed and I didn't want to sound glib or appear to just be saying something for the sake of it.

However, I really do just want to say that my thoughts are with you. I can only imagine how cr@p you must be feeling - I know I would be devastated if I suddenly had to stop enjoying being in the great outdoors. Obviously, I don't know the actual nature of your problems, but is there anyway that you could gain some pleasure and satisfaction by passing on your skills and knowledge to the the next generation of bushcrafters and outdoor enthusiasts? It certainly gives me a good feeling to know that I am helping to "pass on the baton" sometimes, even if I can't actually get out there and do it myself so much these days.

All the best.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hang on if you can. My mate Belzeebob got me out when I wasn't able. We changed where we went and he had to pitch the tents and chop the wood, but I could do a bit of cooking and light duties. It really kept me sane and I'm eternally grateful to have him as a mate. You got someone who could get you out? You have to adjust where and how things are done which is hard, but mentally it's worth it.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I wouldn't jack it in, even a bimble into the woods for a brew still counts as bushcraft......that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :p seriously though good health to you and the fresh air will do you good ;)

Jazz006

Jun 7, 2013
Dundee
I wouldn't jack it in, even a bimble into the woods for a brew still counts as bushcraft......that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it :p seriously though good health to you and the fresh air will do you good ;)

Here here, just back from a walk in the woods with my 12 year old daughter who been poorly and in and out of hospital. Just getting out in the fresh air and being around nature can help keep you keep focused on other things for a short period of time.

Atb
Jazz

Opal

Native
Dec 26, 2008
Liverpool
Hey bear, don't ever give up anything, mate, the end of May our daughter was given "minutes" to live, (the doctors left it up to us whether to let her go) not
days or hours, she had sepcis, tumours in many places, bone cancer, heart failure, today? she's still here.

She's wanting to go back to work, two weeks ago she had a 7 hour op on her heart, today she drove her car for the first time in six months, picked her five year old daughter up from school, yer don't give nothing up, you can win this game, mate.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, don't be like my perfectly normal cousin who committed suicide because he could no longer play rugby.

Concentrate on what you can do that what you cant do.

If I listened to all the naysayers, I would never live a reasonably normal life.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Derive strength from all sources and adapt to the hand you have - there is no choice. I'm very sorry indeed for your trouble, BearInTheWoods...................

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I can remember a number of years ago now, being refered to an orthopedic surgeon told me that if I did not have a certain operation done I would lose the use of my hands, he told me it would not happen over night, but the longer I delayed the operation the more likely it would be that it would eventually become irreversible. I couldn't really take that in, but I had the operations anyway.

Thing is he was right, I can see that I have, operation notwithstanding slowly lost the musculature on my left hand to the point where a sure grip is now an issue when I hold things in that hand to carve with the other. I figure that when it gets too bad what I shall have to do is come up with some adaptation or other. I think you should never finally give up on anything until you are absolutely sure you cannot find some alternative, sometimes it is just a matter of ingenuity, finding how other people have coped in the same situation.

It's all too tempting to go down the "why me" route, but whenever I do feel that way I remeber that my mum was in a wheelchair well before I reached the age I have now, and I can still dig my allotment notwithstanding I have a bit of trouble cutting up the vegetables.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE