Bison Bushcraft Guide shirt (with pics)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ads677

Sep 14, 2006
Hinckley
snufkin

Just a quick (additional) question on sizing - I am about to order a Guide Shirt, but can't decide between a medium or large. You've gone for a large, which from your photos would seem a good fit for me, but only if you are about 5' 10" - 5' 11" like me! If you're a 6' 7" giant then a medium would probably be better. Can you help please!?

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi ads677

I've been wearing one of these now for over a month almost on a daily basis, even had to wash it.

The only issue you might have with the large is if its long enough, I'm 5'10" and it fits well tucked in or out I suggest speak to Bison I'm sure they will exchange if you have only tried it for fit.

Best regards, Mark.

JimmyT

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2008
Relocated to Sweden
I've never actually got up close and personal with a Swanndri - and the frequency with which they appear on bushcraft sites suggests they are imbued with mystical properties, but isn't the 'Ranger' just a wool shirt?
I've been using Pendleton wool shirts for many years (100% virgin wool - yes, from ugly sheep...) and if you're patient they can be picked up on the old Bay (.com) for a fraction of the Swanddri prices.
Filson also do several types of wool shirt including their heavyweight Jac-Shirt and Woolrich do a thick, heavy-duty wool blend (80% wool/20% nylon) shirt in several styles which is very warm.
All the above come in a wide variety of plain colours and plaids which are considerably more muted than some of the screaming Swanndri's I've seen on the web.
I do realize that the Ranger Extreme version has a waterproof liner, though my preference would be a breathable waterproof layer on top if needs be.

On the subject of wool recommendations - I have several types of wool baselayer/shirts from various companies: Icebreaker, Arktis (Antarctica Shirt) Army Norgi, Ullfrotte and Lundhags and must say that my Ullfrotte 200g crew is a clear favourite.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
snufkin

Just a quick (additional) question on sizing - I am about to order a Guide Shirt, but can't decide between a medium or large. You've gone for a large, which from your photos would seem a good fit for me, but only if you are about 5' 10" - 5' 11" like me! If you're a 6' 7" giant then a medium would probably be better. Can you help please!?

I'm 5' 11 3/4":) .

a good review, like the colour aswell, not sure about size though having read your review, i am 41" chest or 104cm and 5ft8" the swandri chart suggests a large is there much difference between the swannie and bison, ive ordered a large im thinking now med. like the bag, whats the weight. ...s.s

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Following this review, I got myself one of these shirts too and I have to say I really like it.

I've just been out for the weekend with it and it was a wrench to take it off in the end.

As usual with my kit, I've made some adaptations such as swapping the buttons for some home made reindeer antler ones and stitching the breast pocket into a pen slot and a note pad pocket.

Top bit of kit though. Thanks for the heads up Snufkin.
psmiley23.gif

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Comparing my Swannie Ranger with Wayland's shirt, I was impressed with the thickness and softness of the wool on his. I believe the sizes may be smaller his was Large IIRC and was too small for me whereas my Ranger is also a Large and big enough to get two layers under.

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Are you sure they are highwaymen and wolves Aaron and not Milkmen and Deer :rolleyes: ? lol, There have been a high demand on this Item Jason, they are all hand made, im sure it will come soon buddy, if your worried and eager and impatient call Roger he is the only one that can tell you how long its going to be.:D

Craigeam

Sep 3, 2005
Na H-Eileanan an Iar
LOL I want it now:rant: :p
I ordered one in February and Roger emailed then to say that due to high demand all the first batch were gone, he had orders pending for all the second batch but mine should be due about the end of March, so hopefully it will be on its way soon. Best bet is to check with Roger to see what the delivery is now.

They seem to be popular items, possibly as a result of the favourable comments on these forums, that is certainly how I heard of them.

As Paganwolf says patience is a virtue!

jasons

Settler
Jan 15, 2006
Tain Scotland
I ordered one in February and Roger emailed then to say that due to high demand all the first batch were gone, he had orders pending for all the second batch but mine should be due about the end of March, so hopefully it will be on its way soon. Best bet is to check with Roger to see what the delivery is now.

They seem to be popular items, possibly as a result of the favourable comments on these forums, that is certainly how I heard of them.

As Paganwolf says patience is a virtue!
Its April and you have not had the shirt yet .It said nothing about not being in stock on the bison web site

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE