Bird Nest ID

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Can anyone ID this nest? It was roughly two feet off the ground in some heather over my local heathland.

25April201017.jpg

25April201023.jpg

25April201024.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I just realized that I might not have made my original post quite clear. I actually don't know what species this nest belongs too and was asking you lot.

I don't think the eggs are blue enough for a Bullfinch......

bullfinch-nest-and-eggs-2-hannaborough-moor-26-apr-09-reduced.jpg

Linnet may be a strong possibility...

reed_linnet_eggs_460_460x300.jpg

photo.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
now ive seen the second set of pics and can see how blue the eggs are id definitely go for bull finch ...........

If you look in my fourth post, Bullfinch eggs are far too blue and spotted to be contenders. The eggs in my nest are an off white and slightly smaller.

soulstar1963

Tenderfoot
Apr 28, 2010
stoke on trent
there are slight variations .........they dont have to be bright blue but having said that i will concede .........i am colour blind after all ...........but id still say a finch and bullfinch is a strong contender

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
now ive seen the second set of pics and can see how blue the eggs are id definitely go for bull finch ...........

If you mean the second set of pictures posted, then they ARE bullfinches eggs that I posted for comparison. My nest that I need ID'ng is this one....

25April201024.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
sorry mate misunderstood...........id go for greenfinch

I did confuse things slightly.

The only thing that doesn't hit me as Linnet and Greenfinch 100% is the lack of feathers in the lining. They've used hair only. In that area feathers are much more common than hair as there is no livestock nearby at all. All the linnet and greenfinch nests I've researched show feathers predominantly used as the lining.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE