Seasonal sitings

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I figured we could use a thread for the seasonal species and other interesting bits that happen throughout the year.

For me today it was a walk on the moors, seeing lapwings and curlews that have come in from coastal regions to ground nest. Both make plenty of noise but watching the lapwings dive bombing crows and walkers is good fun!

Ofcourse, plenty of lambs out too, and many young plants coming through, bilberry, crowberry and Heather, and potentially if I can ID them, lingonberry.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Hmmm ... :), half a meter of bloody hard snow here (can walk on it easily just about everywhere) and lynx tracks on my backyard. Herd black grouse courtship (?) and a lost wood pigeon. Some recce birds are on the south coast but I assume their reports are quite negative at the moment.

Forecast is for more sleet and snow. :(

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I was out this week a few times and have seen loads of Ramsons coming on. Not in flower but the flavour is nice a punchy when the leaves are smaller, perfect for adding to my cheese sandwiches. Have see a few Roe bucks in velvety and some signs of them marking territories in denser woodland.

Heard and then saw a Corn Bunting, Yellow Hammer and lots of skylarks today.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
Heard the first cuckoo of the year a few days ago. Unfortunately, winter returned with a vengeance last week, so they must think they took a wrong turn somwhere along their migration route. :confused:

Last edited:
Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Wood anemones are everywhere around here at the moment- lots of periwinkle too. The hogweed is throwing out shoots, and the jack by the hedge has really started to go for it. No flowers on the ramsons yet but plenty of buds.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've just come back from two weeks on the Ardnamurchan, and the wildlife can't decide what season it is to be honest. More toads in orgy than I've ever seen, Black-headed Gulls in summer plumage, Great Norther Divers in winter plumage, swarms of bumble bees on willow blossom, some red deer with well formed antlers, others with just velvet stubs ....

Two weeks of glorious weather; come back to Mid-Wales and it's cold and damp :(

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Wood anemones are everywhere around here at the moment- lots of periwinkle too. The hogweed is throwing out shoots, and the jack by the hedge has really started to go for it. No flowers on the ramsons yet but plenty of buds.
Same here. We’re using Ramson leaves a fair bit, though the next pesto is going to have a lot of pine nuts or chickpeas in it, the last one was a real tongue stinger made with just the leaves, salt and oil.

One of the most pleasing sights just now are the bright yellow of the Primroses and the blue of the Violets.

Hawthorn is flushing, I don’t really eat them but the soft young leaves are good to eat.

Robin and youngsters in the garage because the fan window glass fell out. We’re trying not to disturb them too much.

The Wood pigeons are still ‘at it’ ;)

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
The oyster catchers returned to the marina in Derby this weekend singing their hearts out all day & night.
The skylarks were heard over the fields.. why don’t they sing in the winter months?
Oh no, the dreaded Canadian geese have young.. vile birds.
Mallard has 11 eggs in a plant pot.

Reactions: nigelp

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
The oyster catchers returned to the marina in Derby this weekend singing their hearts out all day & night.
The skylarks were heard over the fields.. why don’t they sing in the winter months?
Oh no, the dreaded Canadian geese have young.. vile birds.
Mallard has 11 eggs in a plant pot.
Skylarks are not defending territory or trying to attack mates in the winter.

Reactions: henchy3rd

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
A little seasonal (i.e today…) shot of a lovely bird, taken while sitting on our loo:

Ive been trying to get a picture of one for ages, as we see them in the garden every day, but they are flighty little wossnames and rarely still. I hope he (she?) is successful in building and populating a nest under the oak boarding around the window. I really enjoy seeing them :)

• Love
Reactions: wookii

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
As I broke the ice on the small pond this morning, a nightingale was singing away. Spring must be here but the weather hasn't caught on yet. :rolleyes: Anyway, they've officialy arrived but they weren't helped by the winds this year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE