Bird Feather Identification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
In my Quest to (quote from Mors Kochanshi) 'learn everything about the wilderness.......I am stuck at one catagory!!

I always collect bird feathers that I have not seen before when I am out 'wandering' and i always bring them home and celotape them into a book for reference, (i have quite a few now). The only problem is, I only know what about two of them are, eg. Magpie.....hardly rocket science!!

Who can point me in the direction of a resource which will help me identify british bird feathers. A free online guide would be nice, but I will stretch to buying a book if there's one going!! (To add to my every growing, rediculas amount of books on bushcrafty things)!!!!

Cheers guys,

Stevo

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
A fantastic book is

The tracks and signs of the birds of Britain and Europe by Brown, Ferguson, Lawrence and Lees. ISBN 0-7136-5208-X.

It covers not only feathers but also feeding signs, tracks & skulls.

The best book I've seen on the subject.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Wolfie said:
A fantastic book is

The tracks and signs of the birds of Britain and Europe by Brown, Ferguson, Lawrence and Lees. ISBN 0-7136-5208-X.

It covers not only feathers but also feeding signs, tracks & skulls.

The best book I've seen on the subject.

Yup I'll second that. I don't think it would be possible to write a more comprehensive book on Bird tracks and sign. You could literally spend all day looking through it and not get bored. Definately worth getting if your into bird sign id'ing

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE