Bird deaths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Coverbuster

Jan 8, 2011
Wyoming

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Well that being the case we should have not a single winged mammal in the sky here in Wyoming . I would like to know how breaking rocks at 30,000 feet under ground kills birds 100 feet above ground .

Well I am told that they work on the theory that if you fracture into a pocket of methane gas then that is released into the atmosphere, possibly at high velocity and capacity, so anything that is easily damaged or could be suffocated due to small lung capacity i.e. birds, as they pass through the area.

Well that's my interpretation of the theory anyway.

Sorry it's a bit of a dull explanation, but as it says in the article,

The natural questions: Are these deaths somehow linked by a common cause, a sign of an impending apocalypse or the result of a common environmental trigger? Biologists say it's unlikely.

"Large mortality events in wildlife aren't that uncommon," says Paul Slota, spokesman for the U.S. Geological Survey's National Wildlife Health Center in Madison, Wis., which has been tracking mass animal deaths since the 1970s. "In the last 10 years we have logged 188 cases just involving birds with mortality exceeding 1,000 animals per event."

And

There's much greater exchange of information nowadays" thanks to the Internet, says Mr. Slota. "The more such events get reported, the more people take interest" and see links that aren't necessarilythere.

In years gone by it might have taken years for information like this to be linked, now it is hours until someone hears and thinks its something apocolyptic

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
"Though he was able to access government records through the Freedom of Information Act, the duck said further attempts to investigate were derailed when federal officials did not respond to his attempts to contact them. The duck also reportedly tried to speak with fish and game wardens, but was chased away every time."

I think he needs to keep a low profile or he could end up crispy and in a role......

PhotoGirl

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2010
Lancashire, UK
Strange I dreamed about loads of dead birds last night, I had not seen this but I think it has a lot to do with the dead bird that appeared in the back yard yesterday.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
dolphins in the us-

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130808-dolphin-deaths-virginia-east-coast-nation-animals/

pedantic edit.
Also with regards of the fracking poisoning in the U.s. Ground water-
end of pedantic edit:

There's no chemicals in the water, also if methane is a hydrocarbon, like parraffin, and you desolve methane in water and drink it, you would expect the same sort of reaction that you would get if you drank parraffin, lung liver and kidney problems, (before you say no only the larger molecules enter your bloodstream, I don't believe you). You can bet that when you test the water most of the methane has had time to leave the water.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE