Bird deaths

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
dolphins in the us-

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130808-dolphin-deaths-virginia-east-coast-nation-animals/

There's no chemicals in the water, also if methane is a hydrocarbon, like parraffin, and you desolve methane in water and drink it, you would expect the same sort of reaction that you would get if you drank parraffin, lung liver and kidney problems, (before you say no only the larger molecules enter your bloodstream, I don't believe you). You can bet that when you test the water most of the methane has had time to leave the water.

But dolphins don't drink water - too saline, their moisture comes from their food.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
nah they do, blue(bull) sharks are so remarkable because they have the ability to control there salinity levels in there blood, unlike most fish, who are either set up for salty or fresh.

I don't wish to be pedantic pc but dolphins are mammals not fish & quite a few species off fish are able to alter there salinity levels to cope with either fresh or salt water, eels & salmon are prime examples.
As for marine mammals drinking sea water, this may be of interest.http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-can-sea-mammals-drink

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I don't wish to be pedantic pc but dolphins are mammals not fish & quite a few species off fish are able to alter there salinity levels to cope with either fresh or salt water, eels & salmon are prime examples.
As for marine mammals drinking sea water, this may be of interest.http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=how-can-sea-mammals-drink

cows get most of there moisture from what they eat, but I've never seen one with armbands and a rubber ring, have you ?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Sorry pc I can't quite see what cows (unless you're refering to sea cows :rolleyes:) have to do with either fish or marine mammals nor the point you're trying to make...............just for the record cows do get a small amount of moisture from grass, especially in the spring (those that graze outside that is )but they also drink large quantities of water every day.:)

Don't worry about hijacking the thread, it's an old one & long since passed it's sell by date :D

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Most marine life is (and marine life I mean lives in the sea without getting out) acclimatised to salt water conditions. Taking them into fresh water leaches salt from there bodies. I know that most creatures will regulate the ammount of salt in their bodies, but that is in saline sea conditions. And vice versa for fresh water aquatic creatures. The vast majority of aquatic creatures cannot switch water type. Dolphins may not drink that much sea water, but their diet and environment is considerably different to that of a cow and contains a surplus of salt and not a defecit. Sea otters drink seawater so there !

Anyway its goatboys fault !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE