Bird call ID help

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Hi,

Can anyone help?

I want to ID a bird call that sounds like one of those 'plunger' whistles. The call is one repetative note that goes from low to high, it's quite fast lasting for around 1 second and he repeats it every couple of seconds.

I saw the chap in the tree and he is a small to medium size songbird, head kind of finch style and the tail is kind of striking like the top half of a standard heart shape i.e. two rounded lobes.

I have been researching sound wavs and the closest I've found yet is the greenfinch but as I said the sound this chap makes goes from low to high.

Any ideas?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thanks guys for your input so far,

Jon,

Not really as it was pretty much silhouetted against the sky but the tail seemed darker than the body - not 100% though sorrry.

BR,

Nope, not a dunnock.

KAE,

Not a linnet (going off the song) similar looking but a shorter tail.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Matt.....It could be a number of birds....Being in the height of the mating season, many birds are doing their mating calls, which can differ from their normal calling....I have heard bull finches make the noise you describe, but instantly ruled them out as you would of recognised them (very distinctive birds), but if it was silouetted, who knows.... Great tits make a wide range of noises, so would not rule them out, esp as they are so common...

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt.....It could be a number of birds....Being in the height of the mating season, many birds are doing their mating calls, which can differ from their normal calling....I have heard bull finches make the noise you describe, but instantly ruled them out as you would of recognised them (very distinctive birds), but if it was silouetted, who knows.... Great tits make a wide range of noises, so would not rule them out, esp as they are so common...

Definitely not one of the tits Jon and a much shorter tail than a bullfinch. I've had an interest in ornithology since being a kid so I'm quite aware of most local species but this call stood out as being different to the usual cocaphany but this ones beat me lol.

Thanks for the input and I hope you come up with the answer coz this ones bugging me :lmao:

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
That's a blackbird trick that one.:D

Your not joking, I know, damn things round here....chip chip chip chip chip chip etc etc, starting at 3 am......Hmmmm
Matt, I would need to hear your bird for myself and possibly record it, so I could pass it on to someone who would know.....Any chance of getting a picture of it...?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Right chaps,

I have been through every possible suspect on the RSPB site and while I haven't hit the nail on the head I have found this fella - the bluethroat. Now while I don't think it it's him I notice that the tail is very similar although as I say the head and beak are more finch but if you play the call the very first two notes that he does are about the closest I've heard yet although I would say my birds call is slightly longer per note and a slightly longer gap in between and that's all he did - repeat that note over and over.

Best visual representation I can give in ASCII is...

___...--~^' [2 second pause] ___...--~^' [2 second pause] ___...--~^' [2 second pause] ___...--~^' [2 second pause] ___...--~^'

lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE