Birch tapping pics WIP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
A visitor to my workshop went and drained my water butt for me the other day (he left the tap on after filling the kettle :slap: ), so I had no fresh water to drink yesterday :( but as luck would have it, I had just been making some birch tapping sets for a few people :) So I stepped outside and found the nearest tree...

The set.
birchtappingkitweb.jpg

Assemble the auger and start turning (this is about 2feet off the ground)
birchtapping1web.jpg

I drilled i about 1/4" below the bark. It only needs to be below the cambium to work and this allows the bung to stay in ok.
birchtapping2web.jpg

Bang the bung in with my hand
birchtapping3web.jpg

Plug the plastic tube into the bung
birchtapping4web.jpg

place a bottle underneath. This picture was taken about two hours after setting up, there is already a third of a bottle!
birchtapping5web.jpg

Since the tree will keep weeping sap from that spot until the sap stops rising or a plug is put into it, I just keep changing the bottles until it stops ;) Plugging a tree can as pointed out trap infections in there, so I don't do it myself. But if I'm not there to change the bottle for a couple of days (such as today when I didn't go to work), I plug it with a solid cork to stop the sap running out and the bugs getting in. Then tomorrow when I get back I'll unplug it, scrape around the edge of the cut with my knife (just to refresh the hole) and stick my tube back in :)

I've been tapping several different trees each year around my woods for the last 3 years now and some have had wooden plugs left in, some have been forgotten and I've found bottles and taps in a year later (very naughty and wasteful :eek: ), I've also got some that just have a hole from where I removed the tap at the end and left it to heal itself. NONE have died or show any sign of infection.

Time to get the wine making stuff cleaned out and get some birch wine on the go :D

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Birch sap wine is delicious. Mate of mine up in Lancs does it. Fantastic stuff! Apparently it has 'healing' properties... ;)

How long do you let it set in the bottle, half a year?

I must get round to do it myself some time. Thanks for sharing :)

ATB

Mike

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
It's a nicely made set Dave, no mistake, but why not just use a drill bit the same size as the tube you use?! I can only imagine the popularity of these large diameter drills is because Ray Mears used one on a programme once. If he had used 10mm tubing and a 10mm drill bit, I'm sure these wouldn't get a look in.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Phil there are a few reasons I use the 1" auger at present:

1) St Mears uses a 1" auger, so obviously that's the best size :rolleyes: (or rather that's what people ask me for)
2) I've never got a good seal from just the plastic tube, the rubber bung makes a total seal. Maybe a bit of rubber piping would solve that and then I can use a smaller bit. I'll get some next time I'm in town and try :)
3) and most importantly, I bought a couple of dozen of those bits last year and I need to use them up before changing size :lmao:

Mike, I haven't actually got around to making birchsap wine yet, I tapped loads last year but it all went off by the time I assembled the wine making gear :( I've made birch sap vodka, which is just vodka mixed with the sap; that is very nice

I'm going to try simmering it down into a syrup too this year

Allesio, I don't know which trees will produce drinkable sap but I know sycamore, maple and birch do. I think there are others though?

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I wonder if some surgical tubing around the plastic tubing would help seal it up better? I did notice a slight issue with seepage around the tube but I suppose it could be sealed properly with some clay or mud. Obviously, the ultimate bushcraft way would be a cut and a sliver of wood but the output isn't very good at all and requires more and more cuts into the tree.

I do remember seeing some tapered spiles once, they seemed to be an excellent idea and they are used for maple sap collection but could be used for Birch. After drilling a small hole, the tapered spile would create a perfect seal.

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
might work, but you would spend a lot of time making sure it was topped up so it didn't boil dry before the sap is reduced

Indeed! I cannot see an easy way of doing it if it is as bad as that, though I have never tried making sap as I hear it takes a massive amount to make a small amount of syrup!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I just came across this website on birch syrup and tapping.

The bit about making the syrup at home is right near the bottom and does seem a little too much trouble I reckon :( Still worth a go even if it's only going to produce enough for one pudding :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE