birch sap

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Flowing well this afternoon despite the ongoing cold weather and biting winds....I'll see how much is in the billy tomorrow....

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
Been out today to get mine :D

Put a tap in this morning and went back an hour or so ago to collect. I hung a litre can and it's only half full but it was quite a small tree.
I tried 5 trees and only two produced anything- is this right? When I've tapped before all the trees I've tried have given sap.

Simon1- did you try Barming? You'd better get up there quick if you want some, Oaken woods is about to burst into life :)

-Switch- said:
:lmao:
So the Rausings have even got their claws into the world of bushcraft now? :rolleyes:

Pretty sure about the bushcraft, but dead sure about the number of birches in that country (BTW the tetrapack was not from Russia but from Belarus :eek: ). The taste was rather disappointing. Can someone describe the taste of the fresh thing? I don't have birches in my immediate surroundings.

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
Hi Switch,
I did'nt get a chance to get to barming, but I tried in the Birch back up the mother-in-laws and low and behold the sap is flowing like a gooden :lmao:
So I've been up there today and put my tap back in :D
Thanks for all the advice from you guy's It has been really useful :You_Rock_
I'll let you all know how it tasts when I get enough in my bottle :p
See you! :lmao:

Jan 31, 2005
Germany
wolf said:
Spring has arrived here in the SE,the birch sap has risen. :)

The sap is rising here in Germany too. I was out at lunch tapping a few trees in my local wood and I'm hoping to get enough to make some wine :D Fingers crossed.

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
While walking the dog I noticed a birch tree that had been hacked at with some sharp implement and the sap was pouring out, so I guess its risen here too. Time to find some birch trees to tap. :)
Shame about the tree I think it will live though. :(

stevo

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2005
Scotland
For me the taste is like disolving half a tea spoon of sugar in a litre of cold water, thats almost what it is anyway....just like water, but with a slight taste of the wilds....if that helps.....em....probably not!!

stevo

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
stevo said:
For me the taste is like disolving half a tea spoon of sugar in a litre of cold water, thats almost what it is anyway....just like water, but with a slight taste of the wilds....if that helps.....em....probably not!!

stevo

My reply was gonna be similar to that but I thought it would be too vague :lol:

How do you describe the taste of something to someone who has never tasted it? Especially when there really isn't anything else that tastes similar.
It's like trying to tell someone what pine smells like.

I think ''cold water with a slight taste of the wilds'' is a good description :D

Thanks anyway, Switch and Stevo. I thus think the tetrapack version is not that far from the real thing. Watery with a touch of sugar and an impression of, say, grape juice (or grass). But my pack states there was 6% sugar added :eek:

Wonder how it would taste without the added sugar?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE