Bilberry vodka

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
My hedgerow food book says this is sensational, so have just put a batch on having picked some today. Anyone else made it ?

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Bigbear - Which book have you got and what is its recipe?

I do make some, my recipe is not terribly scientific. I have a 2 litre kilner jar which I more than half fill with berries (this doesn't take up half of the volume though). To this I add a litre of Vodka, and 150g sugar (this isn't a very sweet syrupy liqueur, but quite sharp). A few more berries can be added to fill the jar if there is room for them.
After a few weeks steeping I drain off the liquid, but I also press the berries because there is a lot of vodka goodness locked in them. This means that the liqueur has to be filtered in stages to separate the pulp and pips (muslin wine bag followed by fine nylon jelly bag). Then the liqueur has to be decanted into a large bottle or demijohn for about a week to settle out the last fine sediment. The final liqueur can be siphoned off the top and bottled.

It is worth the effort though. You could add more sugar if you prefer sweeter liqueurs, or even add some honey, which is a nice variation.

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Sorry for the delay, been off learning to canoe and kayak all week.
the book is The hedgerow hand book by Adele Nozedar, very good too.
similar to your recipe, just fill the bottle ha
f way up with berries and top up with vodka, add up to 200g sugar if you want, I used much less, stand for eight weeks and strain, but like you I will crush them to get all the flavour out.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
We call 'em Wimberries down here and use 'em for everything, including this Vodka; your recipes are spot on, start like that and then adapt to your own taste in time......I can tell who made which batch when we gather for a bit of a hoolie on the green :)

A nice thing to do instead of crushing the remaining berries is to pour in a litre of half-decent Sherry and leave a further six weeks...............tastes a whole lot better than it sounds!

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Just done the bottling of the voddy and put the sherry on the berries. Tastes great, will leave it a few weeks in the bottle to see if it changes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE