Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
1962 August 27

Mariner 2 - . Payload: Mariner R-2. Mass: 201 kg (443 lb). Nation: USA. Agency: NASA. Program: Mariner. Class: Venus. Type: Venus probe. Spacecraft: Mariner 1-2. USAF Sat Cat: 374 . COSPAR: 1962-A-Rho-1. Mariner 2 was the first spacecraft to successfully flyby another planet. It was a backup for the Mariner 1 mission which failed shortly after launch to Venus. After launch and termination of the Agena first burn, the Agena-Mariner was in a 118 km altitude Earth parking orbit. The Agena second burn injected the Mariner 2 spacecraft into a geocentric escape hyperbola at 26 minutes 3 seconds after lift-off. Solar panel extension was completed about 44 minutes after launch. On 29 August 1962 cruise science experiments were turned on. A midcourse maneuver was initiated at 22:49:00 GMT on 4 September and completed at 2:45:25 GMT 5 September. On 8 September at 17:50 GMT the spacecraft suddenly lost its attitude control, which was restored by the gyroscopes 3 minutes later. The cause was unknown but may have been a collision with a small object. On October 31 the output from one solar panel deteriorated abruptly, and the science cruise instruments were turned off. A week later the panel resumed normal function and instruments were turned back on. The panel permanently failed on 15 November, but Mariner 2 was close enough to the Sun that one panel could supply adequate power. On December 14 the radiometers were turned on. Mariner 2 approached Venus from 30 degrees above the dark side of the planet, and passed below the planet at its closest distance of 34,773 km at 19:59:28 GMT 14 December 1962. After encounter, cruise mode resumed. Spacecraft perihelion occurred on 27 December at a distance of 105,464,560 km. The last transmission from Mariner 2 was received on 3 January 1963 at 07:00 GMT. Mariner 2 remains in heliocentric orbit. Scientific discoveries made by Mariner 2 included a slow retrograde rotation rate for Venus, hot surface temperatures and high surface pressures, a predominantly carbon dioxide atmosphere, continuous cloud cover with a top altitude of about 60 km, and no detectable magnetic field. It was also shown that in interplanetary space the solar wind streams continuously and the cosmic dust density is much lower than the near-Earth region. Improved estimates of Venus' mass and the value of the astronomical unit were made.

[video=youtube;Y_rXXI17tUA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rXXI17tUA[/video]

View attachment 21708 Only the original could have this information. We may need to pass this on to the man with no names, to calm him down. It has been observed by the others that he may be a liability.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
View attachment 21708 Only the original could have this information. We may need to pass this on to the man with no names, to calm him down. It has been observed by the others that he may be a liability.

This would seem so much more convincing if it wasn't being screamed in unison from 2000 partally dissolved throats

Clones!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
1993 August 28 - .

Galileo Flyby of Asteroids Ida & Dacty.
American outer planets probe. One launch, 1989.10.18. The Galileo Jupiter orbiter was designed to perform in-depth studies of the giant planet's atmosphere, satellites, and surrounding magnetosphere.

The spacecraft's primary mission was the deployment of an atmospheric probe into Jupiter's atmosphere. During interplanetary cruise, deployment of Galileo's high gain antenna failed, forcing use of the its low gain antennas at much lower than planned data rates. Despite the failure, a series of mission extensions and software improvisations resulted in the original science objectives being vastly exceeded. Galileo also performed two asteroid flybys and obtained images of the far side of Jupiter when Comet Shoemaker-Levy impacted in July 1994.

Galileo was designed to perform in-depth studies of Jupiter's atmosphere, satellites, and surrounding magnetosphere. The mission was named in honor of Galileo Galilei, the Italian Renaissance scientist who discovered Jupiter's major moons in 1610. The spacecraft's primary mission was the deployment of an atmospheric probe into Jupiter's atmosphere. Following deployment of the probe, the spacecraft went into orbit around Jupiter to continue its investigations.

At the beginning of Galileo's interplanetary cruise, the planned deployment of the high gain antenna failed on 11 April 1991. Subsequent attempts to release it also failed. This forced use of the the low gain antennas at an order-of-magnitude lower than planned data rate. Heroic efforts by JPL staff to develop workarounds resulted in virtually no loss of science data. During its flight to Jupiter, Galileo also performed the first and second asteroid flybys - Gaspra (October 1991) and Ida (August 1993). Galileo was also the only vehicle in a position to obtain images of the far side of Jupiter when more than 20 fragments of Comet Shoemaker-Levy plunged into Jupiter's atmosphere in July 1994. The Galileo probe was released on 12 July 1995 and entered Jupiter's atmosphere on 7 December 1995. Problems with the tape recorder on 11 October 1995 also forced workarounds, but Galileo provided years of service in Jupiter orbit.

View attachment 21741 View attachment 21742The moon taken by Galileo after its first gravity assist.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Ooh! I see the man with few names, hails from the Shire also. Not so far to go now. Or are you still at the bunker in Italy. Tuscany?

The man with few names actually hails from New Zealand. Right now Spain seems to be my lot for a couple of years so not so accesdible. You'd be welcome here though if you fancy a tipi amidst the olive trees.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Sounds really nice, I could live among the Olives for a while. Spent a few years in NZ myself, Mainly Wellington, Lyall bay, Kilbirnie area, but also traveled North and South islands. Mind you that was over 25 years ago.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Sounds really nice, I could live among the Olives for a while. Spent a few years in NZ myself, Mainly Wellington, Lyall bay, Kilbirnie area, but also traveled North and South islands. Mind you that was over 25 years ago.

More recent than me then. I left NZ in 1984. I lived in Wainuiomata in the Hut Valley (Wellington) for a bit. Mostly in Auckland though.

You would be welcome in the tipi as would any 'family member'.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Funny, I didn't see a lot of Auckland, I guess I was thinking, another big city, and being a Londoner gave it a miss. I did pass through Auckland, on my way to ninety mile beach, then up to cape Reinga. Thanks for the kind Tipi offer.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Funny, I didn't see a lot of Auckland, I guess I was thinking, another big city, and being a Londoner gave it a miss. I did pass through Auckland, on my way to ninety mile beach, then up to cape Reinga. Thanks for the kind Tipi offer.

Auckland is OK :) Big geographically but not so many people. You have the Waitakere ranges and various cool beaches and bush within 30 mins too. Pretty good place for Asian food now.
90 mile beach is great. Only about 60 miles long though. Did you drive along it yourself?

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I did about 5 or 6 miles on the way to Te Paki, but there were loads of coaches full of Japanese tourists, so I thought sod it. I had an old 75 Hillman Avenger estate I used as a tour bus. It took me all over NZ with hardly any problems. I must dig out my old photos and bore you all with them.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
I did about 5 or 6 miles on the way to Te Paki, but there were loads of coaches full of Japanese tourists, so I thought sod it. I had an old 75 Hillman Avenger estate I used as a tour bus. It took me all over NZ with hardly any problems. I must dig out my old photos and bore you all with them.

Photos would be great. 90 mile beach in a Hillnan Avenger hey? Lots get bogged down there. Perhaps it was good to avoid the rest.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
What happened today in History?
Dropped in for the Snapshot in history and nothing.
Hope GB hasn't gone looking for his foster dad.
At least got my daily dose of space history. Oh it was a chore
when you where at the moot, Poshboy.
Scott

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
What happened today in History?
Dropped in for the Snapshot in history and nothing.
Hope GB hasn't gone looking for his foster dad.

Yeah, anyone heard from Togayob, he's been awol for a couple of days now. Wonder if he had to go into hospital again. I hope not. Nah he's probably out and about doing bushy stuff.

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Yeah, anyone heard from Togayob, he's been awol for a couple of days now. Wonder if he had to go into hospital again. I hope not. Nah he's probably out and about doing bushy stuff.

Who knows, well he could be lying around like a beached whale after gorging himself on all the wild berries.:lmao:
Bob

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Photos would be great. 90 mile beach in a Hillnan Avenger hey? Lots get bogged down there. Perhaps it was good to avoid the rest.

What a pain this scanning photos is, so slooooooow. Any hoo here's a few, enjoy.

View attachment 21760 View attachment 21761 Wild camping in the Wairarapas.

View attachment 21762 Jet boating the Shotover river Queenstown with a friend.

View attachment 21763 Touring the East cape area with uncle and cousin.

View attachment 21764View attachment 21765 Helicopter ride with all the gear, to the headwaters of the Landsborough river. Three day white water rafting trip.

All taken between '89 and '92.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
What a pain this scanning photos is, so slooooooow. Any hoo here's a few, enjoy.

View attachment 21760 View attachment 21761 Wild camping in the Wairarapas.

View attachment 21762 Jet boating the Shotover river Queenstown with a friend.

View attachment 21763 Touring the East cape area with uncle and cousin.

View attachment 21764View attachment 21765 Helicopter ride with all the gear, to the headwaters of the Landsborough river. Three day white water rafting trip.

All taken between '89 and '92.

Great stuff. You are making me homesick.

I'll reply properly when I'm on a pc rather than a phone but I have to ask how you found the sandflies on the West Coast South Island beaches compared to, say, midges? I think they are even worse.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE