Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Somehow I fear it is this chap she's thinking of!
images

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Blimming eck, I've just noticed the views count. 60000 and I'm going to start charging. :)

Yer right Uncle, nearly 60'000, and it's coming up on out 1st Birthday, that makes it nearly 164 views a day, now even if we take into account the footprint of our visit that's a lot of rubes having a deco. Maybe Mr Barnum was onto something trying to get us to stay at his show, I think you should start charging. It'd pay for Huon's "operation" anyway?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I wonder what they all think!! They don't join in much ;) Perhaps its become part of the training course for social services to help students identify malfunctional families :D

I think they're sitting looking like this and mumbling "***!" quietly to themselves!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Fun With Flags Day!
370px-Flag_of_Denmark.svg.png

Well Pa, I must be thinking I'm Sheldon Cooper today as I feel like having historical Fun With Flags! Did you know that on this day in 1219 - Dannebrog - oldest national flag in the world - and flag of Denmark. According to legend, fell from the sky during the Battle of Lyndanisse (now Tallinn) in Estonia, and turned the Danes' luck?
The Flag of Denmark is red with a white Scandinavian cross that extends to the edges of the flag; the vertical part of the cross is shifted to the hoist side. The cross design, which represents Christianity,[SUP] [/SUP]was subsequently adopted by the other Nordic countries; Sweden, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Åland Islands and the Faroe Islands, as well as the Scottish archipelagos of Shetland and Orkney. During the Danish-Norwegian personal union, Dannebrog ("Danish cloth") was also the flag of Norway and continued to be, with slight modifications, until Norway adopted its current flag in 1821.

According to legend, the flag came into Danish possession during the Battle of Lyndanisse in 1219. The Danes were on a failing crusade in Estonia, but after praying to God a flag fell from the sky. After this event, Danish King Valdemar II went on to defeat the Estonians. The first recorded uses of the flag appear some one hundred years later.

The legend states the origin of the flag to the Battle of Lyndanisse, also known as the Battle of Valdemar, near Lyndanisse (Tallinn) in Estonia, on June 15, 1219.
The battle was going badly, and defeat seemed imminent. However a Danish priest on top of a hill overlooking the battle prayed to God, which meant that the Danes moved closer to victory the more he prayed. At a second he was so tired in his arms that he dropped them and the Danes then lost the advantage and were moving closer to defeat. He needed two soldiers to keep his hands up and when the Danes were about to win, 'Dannebrog' miraculously fell from the sky and the King took it, showed it to the troops and their hearts were filled with courage and the Danes won the battle
No historical record supports this legend. The first record of the legend dates from more than 300 years after the campaign, and the first record connects the legend to a much smaller battle, though still in Estonia; the battle of Fellin (Viljandi) in 1208. Though no historical support exists for the flag story in the Fellin battle either, it is not difficult to understand how a small and unknown place is replaced with the much grander battle of Reval (Tallinn) from the Estonia campaign of King Valdemar II.
This story originates from two written sources from the early 16th century.
The first is found in Christiern Pedersen's "Danske Krønike", which is a sequel to Saxo’s Gesta Danorum, written 1520 – 23. It is not mentioned in connection to the campaign of King Valdemar II in Estonia, but in connection with a campaign in Russia. He also mentions that this flag, falling from the sky during the Russian campaign of King Valdemar II, is the very same flag that King Eric of Pomerania took with him when he left the country in 1440 after being deposed as King.
The second source is the writing of the Franciscan monk Petrus Olai (Peder Olsen) of Roskilde, from 1527. This record describes a battle in 1208 near a place called "Felin" during the Estonia campaign of King Valdemar II. The Danes were all but defeated when a lamb-skin banner depicting a white cross falls from the sky and miraculously leads to a Danish victory. In another record by Petrus Olai called "Danmarks Tolv Herligheder" (Twelve Splendours of Denmark), in splendour number nine, the same story is re-told almost to the word; however, a paragraph has been inserted correcting the year to 1219.
Some historians believe that the story by Petrus Olai refers to a source from the first half of the 15th century, making this the oldest reference to the falling flag.
It is believed that the name of the capital of Estonia, Tallinn, came into existence after the battle. It is derived from "Taani linn", meaning "Danish town" in Estonian.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sitting here feeling very hungry, breakfast isn't for an age, I'm all showered and dressed, everyone else is asleep, even my fellow Joan of Arcers are recumbent in slumber. So here is a song to wake us all up!!! And anyway in 1968 - "Yummy Yummy Yummy" by Ohio Express hits #4!
[video=youtube;JRtME-3rcP4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRtME-3rcP4[/video]

"Yummy Yummy Yummy" is a bubblegum pop song by Arthur Resnick and Joey Levine, first recorded by Ohio Express in 1968. Their version reached #4 in the U.S. Pop Singles chart in June and #5 in the UK Singles Chart It has since been covered by many artists. Ohio Express was a studio concoction and none of the "official" members appear on the record. Joey Levine sang lead vocals.
Joey Levine sang "Yummy Yummy Yummy" live for the first time ever in Henderson, Tennessee at the Caravan Of Stars XV, on May 17, 2008.
In the years since it was a hit, the song has become a standard. In Time Magazine's 2011 list of top 10 songs with silly lyrics it ranked #8. It ranked #2 in Dave Barry's Book of Bad Songs. It has been used in a commercial for Kinder chocolate, in a food-themed scene in the television show The Simpsons, in Monty Python's Flying Circus in the episode "How Not to Be Seen", in Futurama in the episode "Saturday Morning Fun Pit", and in the "Last McSupper" scene of the film Super Size Me.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland

Oh the Twighlightzone music should be playing after that. Why did I put the two together like that and more to the point how did you know about that track? Spooky! Cheers for that Ian.
See Auntie Turbo, some of the scared folk obviously are paying attention to our ramblings. Or maybe Bilmo is family? (As they say in Private Eye - I think we should be told!)

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I'm sure we can weave a good story around our merchant navy brother as a saucy seaman :D I will resist the path my minds just wandered down and suggest an old friend of auntie and papas who now pirates the seas and returns to drop the odd sane comment like a golden nugget.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I'm sure we can weave a good story around our merchant navy brother as a saucy seaman :D I will resist the path my minds just wandered down and suggest an old friend of auntie and papas who now pirates the seas and returns to drop the odd sane comment like a golden nugget.

How do you see him aunty.

This images.jpg or PirateCaptainBenson.jpg or pirate-captain-jack-sparrow-wallpaper-fanpop-fanclubs_Pirate-captain-jack-sparrow-27970721-1024-.jpg or this? images.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Ahoy thar Auntie, luckily I've bin a readin' me Hornblower books so I'll be ables t' calk t' our newfound piratical kin. It will be sweet havin' salt water runnin' in our veins and we may be able t' make some doubloons for once.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE