Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Ohhh did someone mention sewing machines?! I have an interesting fact about them.. Apparently in the days of treadles, it was common to see the seamstresses reaching their crisis due to the actions required to power their machines :)

Girl To Rob indeed...I very dare you to try :D

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Ohhh did someone mention sewing machines?! I have an interesting fact about them.. Apparently in the days of treadles, it was common to see the seamstresses reaching their crisis due to the actions required to power their machines :)

Does it work for blokes auntie?

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands

depends, whacha look like ?

Edit,

reminds me of a Agatha Cristie Miss Marple book

"Beside his envelope was another, similarly sized manilla envelope. This one was marked as the property of a Mr. Willy Gorilla, who had been arrested for grinding his organ in public. Curious, Guybrush opened the envelope, finding a banana and an organ."

There was an Old Man of Vienna,
Who lived upon Tincture of Senna;
When that did not agree, he took Camomile Tea,
That nasty Old Man of Vienna.

Edward Lear.

good night vienna ???????

Last edited:

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Six foot of angry red haired amazon, handy with a yard and pick axe, famed for growing a pair in the woods and working them off by the time we pack up :D think a ginger Brianne, maid of Tarth and tremble :D

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Wow the return of Daddy Biker and Auntie Rub. What a month. And she's as salacious as ever I'm happy to hear. I've missed the bi-wheeled rogue and the titian haired Amazon so very much.

Have just heard from Brother Bob, he's in hospital and is a bit poorly. Going to send him some emails and try to get to Glasgow to see him. Poor lad.

We've gone all poetical of late so I'll leave you with about the only poem I can remember in full: -

Aloft,
In the loft,
Sits Croft;
He is soft.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
G'day Auntie Rub. Are you teasing the boys again?

Poetry? Nonsense more like:

What I like about Clive
Is that he is no longer alive.
There is a great deal to be said
For being dead.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Since we're now on a poetical bent I thought I'd include this one by Mr Kipling who also does exceedingly good cakes. (Woodland and cakes being two perennial favourites on this forum!)

The Way through the Woods

THEY shut the road through the woods
Seventy years ago.
Weather and rain have undone it again,
And now you would never know
There was once a road through the woods
Before they planted the trees.
It is underneath the coppice and heath,
And the thin anemones.
Only the keeper sees
That, where the ring-dove broods,
And the badgers roll at ease,
There was once a road through the woods.
Yet, if you enter the woods
Of a summer evening late,
When the night-air cools on the trout-ringed pools
Where the otter whistles his mate,
(They fear not men in the woods,
Because they see so few.)
You will hear the beat of a horse's feet,
And the swish of a skirt in the dew,
Steadily cantering through
The misty solitudes,
As though they perfectly knew
The old lost road through the woods.
But there is no road through the woods.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Since we're now on a poetical bent I thought I'd include this one by Mr Kipling who also does exceedingly good cakes. (Woodland and cakes being two perennial favourites on this forum!)

The Way through the Woods

THEY shut the road through the woods
Seventy years ago.
Weather and rain have undone it again,
And now you would never know
There was once a road through the woods
Before they planted the trees.
It is underneath the coppice and heath,
And the thin anemones.
Only the keeper sees
That, where the ring-dove broods,
And the badgers roll at ease,
There was once a road through the woods.
Yet, if you enter the woods
Of a summer evening late,
When the night-air cools on the trout-ringed pools
Where the otter whistles his mate,
(They fear not men in the woods,
Because they see so few.)
You will hear the beat of a horse's feet,
And the swish of a skirt in the dew,
Steadily cantering through
The misty solitudes,
As though they perfectly knew
The old lost road through the woods.
But there is no road through the woods.

Ah Kipling. Always reminds me of the question and answer:

Do you like Kipling?
I don't know, I've never kippled.

I was named after a character from a book by Kipling so I'm biased - I like his books. Never been so keen on his poetry though.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Woodlands

When I think of the woods
I think of trying to be lost
Trying to be
Waiting to remove my eyes
while trying to see
Wanting out
to want in
Simple pleasure vs
complex sin
Cutting the regrown
umbilical cord
Society''s life support
into which we're born
We're born with need
in a sense, it's greed
Expectations, standards
But it's a monster we feed
How badly we want to break,
to be alone
that we go to the woods
to find our real home.

Annie Medosch

I like this.:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Must admit to a gap in my education of not reading much of Kipling. And an even bigger one of not having much of a likening for poetry. There are a few poetry books in my collection and I'll occasionally dip into them, but it doesn't really float my boat. Though did plough through the Iliad and the Odyssey at a young age and have returned to them over the years. But I always did have a love of Greek tales. And I suppose that the Nordic sagas are poetry too, I do enjoy the odd haiku though.

Could never write any decent poetry though, the stuff I was forced to churn out for school put me off trying, though I did enjoy writing fiction.

Have started drawing again of late and I used to write the odd line to go along with sketches, may start that again. But don't worry I shan't inflict either upon you.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
I think goat boy is the tease, I want to see and hear some of your stuff now! You tell bob we're wishing him well x

I like Noctourne from the Carmina Burana (and some of the naughtier monks ones too but they're not forum freindly ;))

Oh how sacred! slumber- sleep, the antidote
To all lifes innermost storms of hurts and doubts
Instills between lids of eyes half shut
Such ecstacy as ever love gave out

Your lasses line about simple pleasures and complex sins is very thought provoking :p back to the sewing again, I'll think of you all as I hand crank a poor old ripped chute together again :D

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'll tell him Auntie Rub, though the thought of your good self will do his blood pressure no good;)

He's been joking away with me by email and there's no permanent damage done to him it seems. He's even flirting with the nurses.

I'm going to try to get up to speed on my drawings before I think of letting anyone see them. It's amazing how much you forget. (And I do like to tease!)

I do like the literary bent we're taking here, some nice words and thoughts coming through.

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Flirting with the nurses is a great sign,, unless I was the patient in which case, they'd have every right to pull the plug and run ;) Was it an accident or is he down for maintenance, like our favourite forum was?!

The last sketches I did were tosh, I understand you wanting to feel happy with your work before sharing. My last poem was so full of hatred,, I wouldn't want to share it because it'd just be spreading bad karma :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Flirting with the nurses is a great sign,, unless I was the patient in which case, they'd have every right to pull the plug and run ;) Was it an accident or is he down for maintenance, like our favourite forum was?!

The last sketches I did were tosh, I understand you wanting to feel happy with your work before sharing. My last poem was so full of hatred,, I wouldn't want to share it because it'd just be spreading bad karma :)

Hadn't wanted to say until I checked with him but he had a wee heart attack while getting ready for work on Tuesday morning. He says not to worry as it was a small one and indeed they should be releasing him today after his walk test.

He says thank you all for the kind wishes, while trying not to think of Auntie Rub while attached to the monitors as they'll keep him in!:eek:

Should be going in next week to get some stints fitted and hopefully I'll be getting down to see him to see how he's getting on and wish him a Happy Birthday next month.

He's a tough old bird and is laughing his way through it.

032.JPG

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Stents are marvellous, I'm so pleased he's had a mild attack in time to get them fitted rather than not know and have major surgery a few years down the line x

im actually a fabulous miracle cure. I've known folk on their last legs jump out of windows and scamper up the nearest tree like a teenager rather than face my tender ministrations :D

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Stents are marvellous, I'm so pleased he's had a mild attack in time to get them fitted rather than not know and have major surgery a few years down the line x

im actually a fabulous miracle cure. I've known folk on their last legs jump out of windows and scamper up the nearest tree like a teenager rather than face my tender ministrations :D

You've also been known to stop an L200 in its tracks. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE