Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
damn it, the market briefly got to the 6666.66 barrier, but now its crashed back through.

Oh my God... I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it
was... We finally really did it. [falls to his knees
screaming] YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP! OH, DAMN YOU! GODDAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey Bratlings, how ya been?

And who emptied the drinks cabinet while I was away?

Playing catch up BIG TIME on this thread now.... should I even try?

We've been struggling on despite missing your unusual mind to stimulate us Pa. Uncle Kelly and all us boys have been deliriously staggering around in the mental darkness of each others minds with the occasional helping hand from Auntie Rub. (Hmm that's sounds rude - but she'd appreciate that no doubt!)

Good to see you back, been keeping up with yer blog when I get a change to get on. Looking forward to yer mad rambl...POSTINGS:rolleyes:

Toodle pip old Chap.

PS fact for today, the proper plural of dwarf isn't dwarves seemingly it's dwarrows or dwerrows!

Last edited:

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Hey Bratlings, how ya been?

And who emptied the drinks cabinet while I was away?

Playing catch up BIG TIME on this thread now.... should I even try?

Eeeek! He's back! Hide the evidence, cover the tunnel, dump the earth under the shed :yikes:

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
The Dwarrows or Dwerrows were made by Aulë, whom they themselves called Mahal, meaning “maker.” Aulë was unwilling to wait for the coming of the Children of Ilúvatar, for he was impatient and desired to have someone to teach his lore and his crafts. Therefore, he made the first Seven Fathers of the Dwarves in secret in a hall under the mountains of Middle-earth.

It was, however, not within Aulë’s power to create life. After being reprimanded by Ilúvatar and realizing his error, Aulë offered his creations to his father to do with as he would, including their destruction. Even as the offer was made, Ilúvatar accepted and gave the Dwarves a life of their own. So when Aulë picked up a great hammer to smite the Seven Fathers and destroy his presumptuous creations, they shrank back in fear and begged for mercy.[

Ilúvatar was however not willing to suffer that the Dwarves should come before the Firstborn (Elves), and he decreed that the Seven Fathers should sleep underground and should not come forth until the Firstborn had awakened.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
The Dwarrows or Dwerrows were made by Aulë, whom they themselves called Mahal, meaning “maker.” Aulë was unwilling to wait for the coming of the Children of Ilúvatar, for he was impatient and desired to have someone to teach his lore and his crafts. Therefore, he made the first Seven Fathers of the Dwarves in secret in a hall under the mountains of Middle-earth.

It was, however, not within Aulë’s power to create life. After being reprimanded by Ilúvatar and realizing his error, Aulë offered his creations to his father to do with as he would, including their destruction. Even as the offer was made, Ilúvatar accepted and gave the Dwarves a life of their own. So when Aulë picked up a great hammer to smite the Seven Fathers and destroy his presumptuous creations, they shrank back in fear and begged for mercy.[

Ilúvatar was however not willing to suffer that the Dwarves should come before the Firstborn (Elves), and he decreed that the Seven Fathers should sleep underground and should not come forth until the Firstborn had awakened.

So uncle, do you see yourself as Aulë and papa B as Ilúvatar?

BTW, anyone read The Winter of the World books by Michael Scott Rohan?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy 2nd Symphony Day!
[video=youtube;KT_Z0ABYeqk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT_Z0ABYeqk[/video]

Papa Biker! Rejoice as today in 1803 - 1st performance of Beethoven's 2nd Symphony in D.

Beethoven's Second Symphony was mostly written during Beethoven's stay at Heiligenstadt in 1802, at which time his deafness was becoming more apparent and he began to realize that it might be incurable. The work was premiered in the Theatre an der Wien in Vienna on 5 April 1803, and was conducted by the composer. During that same concert, the Third Piano Concerto and the oratorio Christ on the Mount of Olives were also debuted. It is one of the last works of Beethoven's so-called "early period".
Beethoven wrote the Second Symphony without a standard minuet; instead, a scherzo took its place, giving the composition even greater scope and energy. The scherzo and the finale are filled with vulgar Beethovenian musical jokes, which shocked the sensibilities of many contemporary critics. One Viennese critic for the Zeitung fuer die elegante Welt (Newspaper for the Elegant World) famously wrote of the Symphony that it was "a hideously writhing, wounded dragon that refuses to die, but writhing in its last agonies and, in the fourth movement, bleeding to death."

The symphony is scored for two flutes, two oboes, two clarinets in A, two bassoons, two horns in D and E, two trumpets in D, timpani and strings. The composer also made a transcription of the entire symphony for piano trio which bears the same opus number.

Todays interesting fact is that the largest pearl found is 14 pounds in weight.

The Pearl of Lao Tzu (also referred to as Pearl of Lao Tze and previously as Pearl of Allah) is the largest known pearl in the world. The pearl was found in the Palawan sea, which surrounds the island of Palawan in the Philippines, and was found by a Filipino diver. It is not considered a gemstone pearl, but is instead what is known as a "clam pearl" or "Tridacnapearl" from a giant clam. It measures 24 centimetres in diameter (9.45 inches) and weighs 6.4 kilograms (14.1 lb.).

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
So uncle, do you see yourself as Aulë and papa B as Ilúvatar?

BTW, anyone read The Winter of the World books by Michael Scott Rohan?

Well he did make me what I am today, so I have to say yes. (Okay kribe you can stop hitting me now.)
The Winter of the World books by Michael Scott Rohan. I can't say that I've heard of him, something like G.O.T?

Franklin J. Schaffner

dawned on me yesterday, you lousy lousy git,

This?
View attachment 29706
The Fog is a horror novel by English writer James Herbert, published in 1975. It is about a deadly fog that drives its victims insane when they come into contact with it. Herbert's second book, it is completely unrelated to the 1980 film of the same name by John Carpenter.

Plot summary

John Holman is a worker for the Department of the Environment investigating a Ministry of Defence base in a small rural village. An unexpected earthquake swallows his car releasing a fog that had been trapped underground for many years. An insane Holman is pulled up from the crack, a product of the deadly fog.

Soon the fog shifts and travels as though it has a mind of its own, turning those unfortunate enough to come across it into homicidal/suicidal maniacs who kill without remorse, and often worse. Respectable figures including teachers and priests engage in crimes ranging from public urination to paedophilia. A Boeing 747 pilot is also made insane and crashes the aircraft into the BT Tower in London.

Soon a bigger problem is discovered - the fog is multiplying in size and nothing seems to be able to stop it. Entire villages and cities are in danger and the only chance left is to use the treated and immunized John Holman to take on the fog from the inside where who knows what awaits him.

Or this?

[video=youtube;CsbYx6hevoQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsbYx6hevoQ[/video]
View attachment 29707

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Well he did make me what I am today, so I have to say yes. (Okay kribe you can stop hitting me now.)
The Winter of the World books by Michael Scott Rohan. I can't say that I've heard of him, something like G.O.T?

Is it like GOT? Nope :)

Based on Scandinavian mythology and smithing - yes.

Good read? Absolutely!

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Lovely piece of music, and what a pearl. My favourite Beethoven piece is "Moonlight Sonata".

[video=youtube;vQVeaIHWWck]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQVeaIHWWck[/video]

I also love this from Rodrigo - "Concerto de Aranjuez", shades of El Cid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9Zea599Y3A

Both favourites of mine too. The story behind the Concierto de Aranjuez is also interesting. I must visit Aranjuez sometime before I leave Spain.

Did you know that Rodrigo couldn't play the guitar? He was a pianist.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Both favourites of mine too. The story behind the Concierto de Aranjuez is also interesting. I must visit Aranjuez sometime before I leave Spain.

Did you know that Rodrigo couldn't play the guitar? He was a pianist.

That's what I love about the wild ramblings, meanderings and downright tangents of thought on this thread, you learn something new every day.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
That's what I love about the wild ramblings, meanderings and downright tangents of thought on this thread, you learn something new every day.

I prefer the wild ramblings, meanderings and downright tangents myself but the Imp of the Perverse strikes with a bolt of sanity every now and then.

Interestingly, I originally typed rampling in the paragraph above. Now there's a more loveable thought.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE