Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Pa? Cousin Peter has been up all night sniffing glue with Midnighthound LINK I've just been up - cant sleep at all these last few days. I think you and Uncle Kelly will have to take turns at bedtime stories - no scary ones mind as Huon didn't take his rubber mattress cover to Spain.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Pa? Cousin Peter has been up all night sniffing glue with Midnighthound LINK I've just been up - cant sleep at all these last few days. I think you and Uncle Kelly will have to take turns at bedtime stories - no scary ones mind as Huon didn't take his rubber mattress cover to Spain.

well thats it then, you've shown your true colours, I see that hand you've been playing, the paranoia pays off in the end. The words of a stooge of the lizard people. but I knew, I was waiting for this.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
well thats it then, you've shown your true colours, I see that hand you've been playing, the paranoia pays off in the end. The words of a stooge of the lizard people. but I knew, I was waiting for this.

You have seen the danger - thanks for the warning!

I see the words of the evil overlords rather than the lizard people. References to overlord symbolisms (coloured sausages anyone?) give the game away. GB is playing a subtle game.

We need to start collecting pie plates and someone should send a subspace signal to Rigel 7 before the sausage-coloured matter hits the rotating blades.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Bedtime story number one. Or maybe number two for Huon.

[video=youtube;T7zR3IDEHrM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7zR3IDEHrM[/video]

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Aaron. For your delight and delectation, a diminutive ditty, dotty and daft, desirably defiant, and most importantly, deftly done.

[video=youtube;TFCuE5rHbPA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFCuE5rHbPA[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
As the raven may be too scarey for Huon and he's worrying about the olive harvest I'll tell him a non-scary story just in time for bed.

So are you snuggled in?, got teddy? Then we'll begin...

Pandora's Box
A poem by Paul Perro

According to old Greek legends
There once was a time when
There were no women in the world,
There were only men.

That is, until the mighty Zeus
Went to see Hephaestus one day,
And ordered him to make
A woman out of clay.

They named the woman Pandora
And breathed her full of life,
Then gave her to a young man named
Epimetheus, as his wife.

But Zeus was not really being nice,
He had a wicked plan.
His enemy Prometheus
Was the brother of the young man.

Zeus gave them a box with a key,
Then he sternly decreed
That they must never look inside.
The young couple agreed.

Now Zeus thought Epimetheus,
Despite this conversation,
Would be unable to withstand
The terrible temptation.

In fact it was Pandora who
Gave in to curiosity.
She quietly crept, as her husband slept,
And from him, took the key.

The box held many nasty things,
Unknown to Pandora,
And all of them could fly, which she
Discovered to her horror.
She unlocked and opened the box
And the first to escape was rage,
Followed by pain, then jealousy,
Disappointment, greed and old age.

Out flew measles, mumps, rubella,
Bubonic plague, chicken pox,
Leprosy, hepatitis B,
All escaped from Pandora's box.
Pandora was shocked and appalled,
What on earth had she done?
Soon all of the things had escaped,
...all, that is, except one.
As she peered into the box,
She slowly became aware,
A little thing called "hope"
Was still trapped in there.Pandora sighed and let it go.
She knew, if there was hope,
Then no matter what else happened,
The human race could cope.

The word "box" is a mistranslation - in the original Greek, Pandora was actually given a large storage jar, not a box. However, today, almost everybody refers to Pandora's box, not Pandora's jar.
So night night all.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
As the raven may be too scarey for Huon and he's worrying about the olive harvest I'll tell him a non-scary story just in time for bed.

So are you snuggled in?, got teddy? Then we'll begin...

Pandora's Box
A poem by Paul Perro

According to old Greek legends
There once was a time when
There were no women in the world,
There were only men.

That is, until the mighty Zeus
Went to see Hephaestus one day,
And ordered him to make
A woman out of clay.

They named the woman Pandora
And breathed her full of life,
Then gave her to a young man named
Epimetheus, as his wife.

But Zeus was not really being nice,
He had a wicked plan.
His enemy Prometheus
Was the brother of the young man.

Zeus gave them a box with a key,
Then he sternly decreed
That they must never look inside.
The young couple agreed.

Now Zeus thought Epimetheus,
Despite this conversation,
Would be unable to withstand
The terrible temptation.

In fact it was Pandora who
Gave in to curiosity.
She quietly crept, as her husband slept,
And from him, took the key.

The box held many nasty things,
Unknown to Pandora,
And all of them could fly, which she
Discovered to her horror.
She unlocked and opened the box
And the first to escape was rage,
Followed by pain, then jealousy,
Disappointment, greed and old age.

Out flew measles, mumps, rubella,
Bubonic plague, chicken pox,
Leprosy, hepatitis B,
All escaped from Pandora's box.
Pandora was shocked and appalled,
What on earth had she done?
Soon all of the things had escaped,
...all, that is, except one.
As she peered into the box,
She slowly became aware,
A little thing called "hope"
Was still trapped in there.Pandora sighed and let it go.
She knew, if there was hope,
Then no matter what else happened,
The human race could cope.

The word "box" is a mistranslation - in the original Greek, Pandora was actually given a large storage jar, not a box. However, today, almost everybody refers to Pandora's box, not Pandora's jar.
So night night all.

And Caesar's spirit, raging for revenge,
With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once
more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears, Then imitate the action of the tiger;

PUCK
Now the hungry lion roars,
And the wolf behowls the moon;
Whilst the heavy ploughman snores,
All with weary task fordone.
Now the wasted brands do glow, Whilst the screech-owl, screeching loud,
Puts the wretch that lies in woe
In remembrance of a shroud.
Now it is the time of night
That the graves all gaping wide,
Every one lets forth his sprite, In the church-way paths to glide:
And we fairies, that do run
By the triple Hecate's team,
From the presence of the sun,
Following darkness like a dream,
Now are frolic: not a mouse Shall disturb this hallow'd house:
I am sent with broom before,
To sweep the dust behind the door.

Good night.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
And Caesar's spirit, raging for revenge,
With Ate by his side come hot from hell,
Shall in these confines with a monarch's voice
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once
more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears, Then imitate the action of the tiger;

PUCK
Now the hungry lion roars,
And the wolf behowls the moon;
Whilst the heavy ploughman snores,
All with weary task fordone.
Now the wasted brands do glow, Whilst the screech-owl, screeching loud,
Puts the wretch that lies in woe
In remembrance of a shroud.
Now it is the time of night
That the graves all gaping wide,
Every one lets forth his sprite, In the church-way paths to glide:
And we fairies, that do run
By the triple Hecate's team,
From the presence of the sun,
Following darkness like a dream,
Now are frolic: not a mouse Shall disturb this hallow'd house:
I am sent with broom before,
To sweep the dust behind the door.

Good night.

petrochemicals

user-online.png
Captain Wacky Settler

Join DateJul 2012LocationwestmidlandsPosts666

Congrats on your post count there Cuz! And frightening Huon into wetting the bed.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Phonograph Day!

Thomas Edison with his second phonograph, photographed by Mathew Brady in Washington, April 1878.

Well Pa-Pa! It's time for you go get out your modern beat classics and boogie the afternoon away, as today in 1877 - Tom Edison announces his "talking machine" invention the Phonograph.

Edison cylinder phonograph, circa 1899. Suitcase Model.
The phonograph, record player, or gramophone (from the Greek: γράμμα, gramma, "letter" and φωνή, phōnē, "voice"), is a device introduced in 1877 for the recording and reproduction of sound recordings. The recordings played on such a device consist of waveforms that are engraved onto a rotating cylinder or disc. As the cylinder or disc rotates, a stylus or needle traces the waveforms and vibrates to reproduce the recorded sound waves.
The phonograph was invented in 1877 by Thomas Edison. While other inventors had produced devices that could record sounds, Edison's phonograph was the first to be able to reproduce the recorded sound. His phonograph originally recorded sound onto a tinfoil sheet phonograph cylinder, and could both record and reproduce sounds. Alexander Graham Bell's Volta Laboratory made several improvements in the 1880s, including the use of wax-coated cardboard cylinders, and a cutting stylus that moved from side to side in a "zig zag" pattern across the record. At the turn of the 20th century, Emile Berliner initiated the transition from phonograph cylinders to gramophone records: flat, double-sided discs with a spiral groove running from the periphery to near the center. Other improvements were made throughout the years, including modifications to the turntable and its drive system, the needle and stylus, and the sound and equalization systems.
The gramophone record was one of the dominant audio recording formats throughout much of the 20th century. From the mid-1980s, phonograph use declined sharply because of the rise of the Compact Disc and other digital recording formats. While no longer mass market items, modest numbers of phonographs and phonograph records continue to be produced in the second decade of the 21st century.

Usage of these terms is not uniform across the English-speaking world (see below). In more modern usage, this device is often called a "turntable", "record player", or "record changer". When used in conjunction with a mixer as part of a DJ set up, they are often called "decks".
The term phonograph ("sound writer") is derived from the Greek words φωνή (meaning "sound" or "voice" and transliterated as phonē) and γραφή (meaning "writing" and transliterated as graphē). Similar related terms gramophone and graphophone have similar root meanings. The coinage, particularly the use of the -graph root, may have been influenced by the then-existing words phonographic and phonography, which referred to a system of phonetic shorthand; in 1852 The New York Times carried an advertisement for "Professor Webster's phonographic class", and in 1859 the New York State Teachers' Association tabled a motion to "employ a phonographic recorder" to record its meetings.
F. B. Fenby was the original author of the word. An inventor in Worcester, Massachusetts, he was granted a patent in 1863 for an unsuccessful device called the "Electro-Magnetic Phonograph". His concept detailed a system that would record a sequence of keyboard strokes onto paper tape. Although no model or workable device was ever made, it is often seen as a link to the concept of punched paper for player piano rolls (1880s), as well as Herman Hollerith's punch card tabulator (used in the 1890 United States census), a distant precursor of the modern computer.
Arguably, any device used to record sound or reproduce recorded sound could be called a type of "phonograph", but in common practice it has come to mean historic technologies of sound recording.
In the late 19th and early 20th century, "Phonograph", "Gramophone", "Graphophone", "Zonophone" and the like were still brand names specific to different makers of sometimes very different (i.e., cylinder and disc) machines, so considerable use was made of the generic term "talking machine", especially in print. "Talking machine" had earlier been used to refer to complicated devices which produced a crude imitation of speech by simulating the workings of the vocal cords, tongue and lips, a potential source of confusion both then and now.

In British English, "gramophone" referred to any sound reproducing machine using 78 rpm gramophone records, as disc records were popularized in the UK by the Gramophone Company. The term "phonograph" was usually restricted to devices playing cylinder records.
"Gramophone" generally referred to a wind-up machine. After the introduction of the softer vinyl records, 33 1⁄3 rpm LPs and 45 rpm EPs, the common name became "record player" or "turntable" initially as part of a system that included radio (radiogram) and, later, might also play cassettes. From about 1960 such a system began to be described as a "hi-fi" or "stereo" (most systems being stereophonic by the mid-1960s).

Huon earlier today. Bless his little chubby legs!

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
All that needs are some gears hot glued gunned to it and we could call it Steampunk!!! :lmao:

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!

Have a good one chaps!

Biker! Happy Phonograph Day!

Thomas Edison with his second phonograph, photographed by Mathew Brady in Washington, April 1878.

Well Pa-Pa! It's time for you go get out your modern beat classics and boogie the afternoon away, as today in 1877 - Tom Edison announces his "talking machine" invention the Phonograph.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I know you are not being cruel. You are just jealous of my beautiful feet ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Whispers: - Is that why they go there to film Hobbits? They all has big pretty hairy feets? I couldn't be cruel to a Hobbits.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE