big woodwork, a bridge

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Just a quick video clip done on a compact camera of today's job, finishing off a green oak bridge I have been working on for a while. It came out quite nice and a lovely spot to work.
[video=youtube;IGFZpUsEhSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGFZpUsEhSk[/video]

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
The abutments are very carefully prepared to shed water at the point where the beam sits. A beam sitting in damp soil will rot in half the time of one sat on dry stone. Then I burnt the wood with a blow torch and melted paraffin wax into it to act as a damp proof course, just at the ends and bit where it touches the ground.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
lovely job robin there building a bridge over the river byme on forest drive but its all square and formal i will try and take a piccy of it when it is finished regards dave

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
It really is a lovely bridge, I took this last week while driving past on the way to Hathersage.

b007.jpg

Must make sure I stop at the Grindleford cafe for a butty next time when ive got more time, and walk it off up to the top.

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It really is a lovely bridge, I took this last week while driving past on the way to Hathersage.

Must make sure I stop at the Grindleford cafe for a butty next time when ive got more time, and walk it off up to the top.

Lovely pic thanks Addo much better than any I have taken of it. One of the joys of working there has been lunch at Grindleford cafe, can't beat a good grease out in cold weather. If ypu head the other way from Grindleford cafe, over the railway 1/6 mile along the track to Padley Chapel then turn right up into the woods is one of the nices walks around, old oak coppice then into secondary birch woodland grown up on old quarry workings with lovely flat grassy glades. It is a perfect spot for stopping for a brew.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE