best way to store my sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dozzer

Forager
Jun 24, 2010
dundee
Hi all,

i was wondering what is the best way to store my sleeping bag?

In the stuff/compression sack or out the sack so its not squashed for all the time its not in use? if it will ruin the filling leaving it compressed for so long il take it out but space is an issue so its convienient to leave it on the sack.

E

ex member coconino

Definitely don't store it compressed in the sack. Either hang it flat in a dry place, like a wardrobe, or put it loosely into a net bag and hang that somewhere dry. Also, make sure it's very well aired before putting away. I'm sure net bags can be bought for the purpose but I use an old nylon-mesh onion sack, free from the greengrocer.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Most of ours are up on top of or at the bottom of wardrobes. But keeping it in the compression sack seriously damages their lofting abilities, which in turn means you'll be colder.

Last edited:

dozzer

Forager
Jun 24, 2010
dundee
the suit bag is a great idea! i did wonder if the bag would ruin the loft of the bag. think tomorrow il be clearing space to store the sleeping bags then :)

porchini

Forager
Sep 18, 2008
stockport
I have used a net bag that you can buy for delicate things to go in the washing machine, it is big enough not to compress the bag. It was purchased from Dunhelm if that helps.

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
I've kept my synthetic in the stuff sack for about 5 years, with the straps loose and nothing cinched down tightly - and i've noticed no problems. i think it affects down bags more though.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Synthetics can be stored compressed but certainly not down, even with a sythetic bag I'd still be looking to get it opened up a touch.

The best way is to lay them flat if you can, on top of a wardrobe or under a spare bed is ideal, if you don't have cats :)

Failing that you can hang them up by the loops at the foot end, depending on the bag some down ones will have problems with the down migrating to the bottom of the bag as it hangs, it all depends of the how it's put together though.

Another option is to use a large pillowcase or cotton bag to store it in.

Flat and unfolded or rolled is best if you can

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
in the winter after use i air mine then put in a black bin bag and put it in the attic .
with me the wife and the two kids we have about 10 bags (all synthetic) so not enough space in our wardrobe .

In the summer when we can leave for a weekend at the drop of a hat everything stays packed in the van
ready for a quick getaway on a friday lunchtime.

Craig......................

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE