best way to re-waterproof a poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
I've got one of these ponchos. It's pretty new but it already seems less repellent than when I bought it - new, water beaded all over it. Now it definitely absorbs some moisture.

As it's a poncho I'm not worried about breathability.

Anyone got any ideas?

Also anyone got recommendations for more enduring water-resistant ponchos?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If the water is getting in through areas where constant folding has weakened the proofing, you could try thinning some silicone sealant down with some solvent, and paint that in the specific areas. Though I think it might be a bit abitious to do the entire inner surface.

Good luck

Ogri the trog

I've got one of these ponchos. It's pretty new but it already seems less repellent than when I bought it - new, water beaded all over it. Now it definitely absorbs some moisture.

As it's a poncho I'm not worried about breathability.

Anyone got any ideas?

Also anyone got recommendations for more enduring water-resistant ponchos?

The army guys that I knew who had these used wd40 as a water repellent on the 58 pat ponchos as the inner coating wore off too easy. They are total crap. Buy a German army rubberised green poncho, infact buy two and stud them together to make a great wee bushcraft tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE