Best type of sharpener for a newbie??

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Ok I’m new to the whole sharpening knifes. I used to use one of these:

http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/kitchen-devil-rollsharp-sharpener-24878-0.html

But have since been warned not to due to it causing more damage to the blade than necessary. I’m not confident enough to use a flat stone since I’m not sure I couldn’t keep the same angle each time. So any suggestions to a sharper that can be use on all edged tools from kitchen knives to garden shears by a complete novice?

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
IMHO, a Spyderco sharkmaker is a good investment ( despite the price) it's a pretty much fool proof way to get a razor sharp, literally shaving sharp edge in just a few minutes, I've been nothing but impressed with mine since the day i unpacked it :D

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Get an oil stone or a water stone and practise with an old knife ,once you have the technique down pat it will give you razor edge every time

Jason

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I have a leather strop and compound but presumably I would have to sharpen with the Sharpmaker then use strop after using the two types of stones for the final edge???

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If you are doing anything other than touching up a blade, you are going to have to learn to use a coarse stone. Cheapest way in is a combination oilstone, something like this: axminster norton stone.

You can use washing up liquid on the stone instead of oil; keeps things a bit cleaner.

Learn using something easy such as an Opinel. Then move on to more complicated blades (doing the final edge shaping and sharpening on a curved blade like a spoon knife, that is a pain!).

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
ANother for the sharpmaker, idiotproof and a sound investment

I carry a DC4 and I also strop but for knowing your blade is in top shape its the Spydie for me

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... I used to use one of these:

http://www.legendcookshop.co.uk/kitchen-devil-rollsharp-sharpener-24878-0.html

But have since been warned not to due to it causing more damage to the blade than necessary.

Very possibly correct. Some of the devices which ask you to draw the edge through the sharpener can tear the edge quite badly, especially some stainless blades which tend to be more susceptible to that kind of damage.

I'm not confident enough to use a flat stone since I'm not sure I couldn't keep the same angle each time.

Possibly not necessary. If you want a convexed edge, for example. But it's easier than you think, and there are plenty of threads about sharpening on this forum for you to spend some quality time with.

So any suggestions to a sharper that can be use on all edged tools from kitchen knives to garden shears by a complete novice?

Nothing will really do everything although some things will come close. India files for example. The likes of the Sharpmaker and Lansky tools reduce the skill needed (and fun had?) but they tend to be a little inflexible. They won't do garden shears at all. Sharpening shears is completely different from sharpening knives because they way they cut is completely different from the way a knife cuts. Most people will try to sharpen shears (and scissors, and e.g. tin snips) in completely the wrong way and wreck them. It wouldn't make much sense for example to try to use a strop on a pair of garden shears. I'd happily use only a coarse stone on garden shears, but if you're using a coarse stone on a knife every time you sharpen it, something is probably very wrong.

Consider a steel. Very easy to use, shouldn't take too much metal away so you'll still have some left to practice with. That's all I ever use on some of my blades. Don't try to use one on the shears.

It's worth practicing with simple stones, or something like emery paper on a mouse mat. Cheaper and can do more than the expensive gadgets, but it may be harder work.

Savagewolfrm

Nomad
Oct 29, 2008
North Devon
i have just bought a smiths 3 in 1. off ebay for 16 quid, this has ceramic rods a diamond grit stone and a carbide sharpener and have found it to be pretty good, gives a razor sharp edge for a minimal cost. not the best in the world but damn close

Biker

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Just found the same thing on ebay, cheaper too. "Go on Mike, you know you want to." says the little devil standing on your shoulder whispering such tempting thoughts in your ear. :lmao:

LANSKY KNIFE SHARPENER

Ah no it ain't the same one. That's the standard model, the one I posted is the deluxe and they go all the way up to diamond.

Just in case you need to cut the fabric of time and space. Anyhow stop tempting me, I own a flexicut slip strop thanks to you already... :p

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I presume once you used one of the sharpeners such as Spyderco or Lansky you would only need to strop the blade with compound if it started to get blunt?

Or do you regularly need to sharpen using all the different grade stones?

Could you use the Spyderco or Lansky to sharpen scythes and axes since they have double edge unlike shears and scissors with there single edge?

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I presume once you used one of the sharpeners such as Spyderco or Lansky you would only need to strop the blade with compound if it started to get blunt?

Yes, no matter what sharpening method you use (I hesitate to use the word 'system' in case people think it has to be complicated and expensive), it's better to touch up the blade often rather than let it get very bad and then have to do a whole lot of work on it. When I use a steel to touch up an edge it generally takes about 15 to 30 seconds.

Or do you regularly need to sharpen using all the different grade stones?

I would recommend against that for most cases.

Could you use the Spyderco or Lansky to sharpen scythes and axes since they have double edge unlike shears and scissors with there single edge?

I have the Lansky version, and it's far too small to do a scythe or even a sickle, and being flat stones they are not suitable for a blade with that kind of curvature. You would be better off with one of the cigar shaped stones that they sell for sharpening that kind of blade. The holder on the Lansky holds the spine of the blade and it is too small to hold an axe, in fact I'm not even sure it will manage some of the thicker knife blade spines we're seeing nowadays. I'm not sure because I gave up using mine years ago and it's in a crate somewhere.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE