Best things in bushcraft?!/What Element of Bushcraft appeals to you the most?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

mick

A lot of what i do is done through scouting. being a helper you get to see what individuals are like when you get them outdoors especially when participating in the various activities that are part of bushcraft. bushcrafts a good way of getting people away from playstations, tv's etc and thus help build on a youngsters charactor and confidence.
a bit off subject but something i feel is overlooked, charector and confidence

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
If its going to be poets corner then this is pertinent

'The World is too much with us'

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea her bosom to the moon;
The Winds that will be howling at all hours
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for every thing, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus coming from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

William Wordsworth (1770 - 1850)

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
If its going to be poets corner then this is pertinent

'The World is too much with us'

The world is too much with us; late and soon,
Getting and spending, we lay waste our powers:
Little we see in nature that is ours;
We have given our hearts away, a sordid boon!
This Sea her bosom to the moon;
The Winds that will be howling at all hours
And are up-gathered now like sleeping flowers;
For this, for every thing, we are out of tune;
It moves us not. Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus coming from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

William Wordsworth (1770 - 1850)

for me anyway.

gillmacca

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
Swindon
I'm still fairly new to bushcraft (which i had started earlier), but for me its the freedom to go where i want and do what i want (within reason), and knowing whatever tasks I accomplish during the day I will benefit from (unlike working in the office, with no thanks).
Just thinking about that poems people have put here, and was wondering if they is a poem/song that you hear, that makes you want to just grab your kit and go.
I have one such song, may sound a bit corny, but it also explaines how i feel when I am out. It called 'maybe' theme from Grizzly Adams.
For you youngsters who have never heard of Grizzly Adams, here is a link...listen to the words in the song.
Grizzly Adams

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Couldn't put it down to anything, i just feel *happy* in the outdoors, difficult to place it.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Just being outdoors,being out doors in the woods fields mountains ect does me a power of good.I really and totally relax,i just love it.

gillmacca said:
I'm still fairly new to bushcraft (which i had started earlier), but for me its the freedom to go where i want and do what i want (within reason), and knowing whatever tasks I accomplish during the day I will benefit from (unlike working in the office, with no thanks).
Just thinking about that poems people have put here, and was wondering if they is a poem/song that you hear, that makes you want to just grab your kit and go.
I have one such song, may sound a bit corny, but it also explaines how i feel when I am out. It called 'maybe' theme from Grizzly Adams.
For you youngsters who have never heard of Grizzly Adams, here is a link...listen to the words in the song.
Grizzly Adams

Every time I hear that theme song, I get a "warm fuzzy" and a tear in my eye!

K

karen

That was all very eliquently put.

For me it is something that i have grown up around in one way or another. It's like being free, from what i'm still not exactly sure. It's not just the skills that make bushcraft for me, it's the feeling of contentment when outside. Being around other like minded people like yourselves when i'am outside is a bonus. :)

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Not having to deal with any bull puckey.

Bull puckey is anything that you don't actually need to live and be comfortable.

I wouldn't necessarily like to live like that all the time, but it's certainly refreshing to just drop all the nonsense for a while.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE