Best stove for Winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I use this combination all year around:

Stove: http://www.touring-gear.com/products/Primus-Micron-Gas-Stove.html
Stand: http://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci=product&wce=53108801
Shield: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product419.asp

Using decent gas helps a lot in the winter and the stove burns from a gentle simmer to a jet engine. I get everything including cup, gas bottle, spork and chopsticks inside a Mors Bushpot, keeping the items linked above and bottle in a bag from backpackinglight so I can easily remove and store everything when using the pot over an open fire. I didn't buy the items from the sellers above but just wanted to link the items so i'm not endorsing the sellers (apart from backpackinglight who are a decent lot).

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Let us know how you get on with it mate, as I think I'll be going down the road of getting one as well. Look unbeatable for the price. IF they are as good as they claim, that is! (big 'if', ain't it!)

I'll post a review once it arrives. Not here yet!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Would a neoprene sleeve or something over the canister stop it from chilling as much?

I do take on board what you're saying :) but I really like that broad stability of the suitcase style stove.

Usually if I'm camping in Winter I'm with friends and we have a fire. We use that for cooking or one of the petrol ones under the chute or tarp for a quick early morning brew up until the fire's going.

However, himself camps only to get someplace where he wants to climb hills, and right now that's not happening because of the midgies. Come late Autumn/ early Winter though he might well want to take off again and that suitcase stove is excellent in the tent where there is no sheltering tarp or chute. Except it doesn't like the cold :(
I might dig out and see about servicing the old primus stove... I like the campinggaz catalytic one too, but it suffers from the cold, and altitude, as well, though it's simplicity itself to use otherwise.

Thanks for the advice :)

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tbh I don't know Mark. They almost frost up with icy condensation when it's cold.
I'm eyeing up that different gas that Squidders linked to though, because we have one of the little pietzo starter can top burners and the stabilisers.
I'm wondering if the different gas could also be used with the cat stove that we have too ?

cheers,
M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Let us know how you get on with it mate, as I think I'll be going down the road of getting one as well. Look unbeatable for the price. IF they are as good as they claim, that is! (big 'if', ain't it!)

They are very very good value for money, I've had one two or three years now.

Toddy for your little gas burner in winter get the gas that have the Propane/Butane/Isobutane mix for in the winter, they perform well.

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Mine took 12 days to arrive (see here) but there was a tracking link/number with the order which told me where it was. The eBay listing said it would take longer

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Fair one mate. Mine has been sent in two lots. The fuel bottle arrived today, but the one with the tracking number (oceanlink or something) for the actual stove has been sitting in Perranporth since 1st September!

Wee bit longer, he's heading for a claim via paypal and no mistake.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Lord alone knows. Send me a mesage about 'due to restriction' or some other load of old nonsense. Quite unimpressed so far to be honest. I ordered on the 20th, and it was not despatched until the 28th for example.

Like I said, not holding out much hope at the moment of ever seeing the thing!

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Moving in another direction....

I got my click stand out today to play with the methanol I bought off eBay, it was hot and clean.

I'm going back to Trangias for the hills and Emberlit /Bushbuddy for the woods.

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
Lord alone knows. Send me a mesage about 'due to restriction' or some other load of old nonsense. Quite unimpressed so far to be honest. I ordered on the 20th, and it was not despatched until the 28th for example.

Like I said, not holding out much hope at the moment of ever seeing the thing!

I got exactly the same - "due to restrictions" it was shipped in two parcels. One is sat on my desk (the bottle). No sign of the business end of the thing yet. I got issued two tracking numbers - the one for the parcel that hasn't arrived doesn't work - just gives an error when I enter it on the tracking site. Like you, I'm not impressed!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Can't understand why an empty fuel bottle would be restricted... Sorry that neither of you have got the stoves yet - I'm quite happy with mine and looking forward to seeing how well it performs in really cold weather

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I got exactly the same - "due to restrictions" it was shipped in two parcels. One is sat on my desk (the bottle). No sign of the business end of the thing yet. I got issued two tracking numbers - the one for the parcel that hasn't arrived doesn't work - just gives an error when I enter it on the tracking site. Like you, I'm not impressed!

Exactly the same as me mate. I've messaged the seller and he is promising to resolve it from his end, but states they are in the middle of a holiday in China right now and can't promise a timescale.

Heinnie Haynes standard of mail order is certainly isn't!

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
I'm only guessing, but perhaps they want to confirm that it really is empty?

I've no idea of why they ship them separately, but it could be because they are pressure vessels - mine arrived closed, and when I unscrewed the cap it was under pressure - probably due to being on a plane in an unpressured environment. Still no sign of my stove though...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE