Best stove for Winter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
The coleman suitcase stoves run on petrol or coleman and are built to last. Woodsmoke do all their cooking on them at their courses. I find they run really well on petrol but stink and give off nasty fumes so wouldn't be good in a tent, and for some reason if I run mine on true Coleman fuel (about the same price as a fine wine) they guzzle fuel at an alarming rate.[/url]

There are alternative fuels as discussed on this thread. Aspen smells quite nice for a petrol, and does give off quite so many nasty fumes.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=76192&p=925744&highlight=#post925744

Stockists can be a bit hit or miss, but Axel from Aspen was making sure it was updated.
http://www.aaoil.co.uk/environment-Aspen-Stockists

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If you're sure Chris :) can we barter ?
You wanted an archer's hood, iirc. I have some beautiful green, or brown, wools just now :)

atb,
M

Run it on panel wipe Mary, not petrol please. They are a good setup, all you need now is a Coleman oven and you can have your roast without carting a bloody great dutch oven around :)

Or put a multi fuel burner in a Trangia (clone in this case)
DSCF3189.jpg

DSCF3241.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
On an open fire, the cast iron pots are great, but they're just too damned heavy to lug any distance. I reckon if aluminium ain't gotten me by now, it's never going to, and the pots are light and robust :) My big camping stew pots are stainless steel. Modern non stick coatings make a huge difference to aluminium :cool:

If needed I can cook on/in sticks, stones and bladders, but given the choice I usually opt for something simpler :)

Why the panelwipe ? Is it cleaner ? and can I get it in someplace like Halfords or do I need to have a friendly panel beater available ?

I have a complete Trangia set thats hardly been used. Forgot about that tbh. I found it a pain to deal with any leftover fuel in the burner. It always leaks somewhere.
Neat idea on the set up :D

cheers,
M

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
A panel beaters or auto paint shop will have it. It is MUCH cleaner burning. Aspen 4T a chainsaw fuel is also good- get it from SOME garden machinery outlets.

BTW, they proved ali was safe to cook with 5 or 6 years ago now.

A Trangia multifuel does away with the normal meths burner and replaces it with a bottle fed unit.

If you want a suitcase type unit with liquid fuel and two rings it's either the Coleman as stated or an ex Army one. If you want a single burner suitcase type to work in all weathers it has to be a Optimus 111/Hiker.

Good luck!

rb1985

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 26, 2010
newcastle
why not get an msr windpro? no petrol fumes and if you turn the canister upside down it goes liquid fed and can cope easily down past -20

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
why not get an msr windpro? no petrol fumes and if you turn the canister upside down it goes liquid fed and can cope easily down past -20

The £39 mulitfuel I linked does that and burns the lot :)

Toddy the Coleman very stable size is "Dimensions: 20.125″L X 12.875″W X 6.625″H" so a little over 2x1 foot and 6" high unopened. If you trip over that you need to go to specsavers.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
If you're sure Chris :) can we barter ?
You wanted an archer's hood, iirc. I have some beautiful green, or brown, wools just now :)

atb,
M

That would be most kind M - and what a memory! You are most welcome to it for free. It works just fine but I just don't use it. I would be most honoured to get a hood in return!

salan

Nomad
Jun 3, 2007
Cheshire
We went form gas two burner stoves to a coleman suitcase and would NEVER go back! So easy to light and just works. We now have two and thinking of getting more lol.
The only time I use gas now is for a really small F1 clone for a small brew kit or in the caravan (its new so I am NOT allowed to rip out the stove just yet!
Alan

Last edited:

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Can't believe how lucky you've been, Toddy - I'd love one of those stoves! Still tempted to buy one of the Chinese multifuel stoves as mentioned but wonder if I could dismantle my Primus and fit a hose in between the tank and the burner so I could make it lower profile...

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Can't believe how lucky you've been, Toddy - I'd love one of those stoves! Still tempted to buy one of the Chinese multifuel stoves as mentioned but wonder if I could dismantle my Primus and fit a hose in between the tank and the burner so I could make it lower profile...

You can experiment with mine if you like mate.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

You can buy a little converter kit originally designed to fit the burner from an Optimus Nova burner into a Trangia that in fact allows you to use all sorts of burners, the kit is £7.50
http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/optimus-trangia-adapter-for-nova-stove-pid2960.html

I've rigged Nova, Primus Omnifuel, and the multi fuel I linked, its very easy. The conversion in my picture uses a different converter and fuel line which lets me use an Optimus 111T silent burner and Omnifuel fuel line and pump to make in effect a 'KAP Arctic' stove.

With the Trangia setup the humble Trangia becomes a real furnace of a stove and a perfect winter setup ideal for snow melting etc but still simmers very well.

The cheap multi fuel and adaptor comes in at £42.50, a lot cheaper than buying a purpose made Trangia multifuel stove adaptor.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You can experiment with mine if you like mate.

I think I'd probably be better off just buying a Chinese multi-fuel off eBay as linked before. After I'd sourced some hose and faffed around making legs/support for the burner, I'd be better off with something purpose built. Thanks, though!

Edit: bit the bullet and ordered one. $58 delivered - let's hope I don't get stung on import duty...

Last edited:

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
I think I'd probably be better off just buying a Chinese multi-fuel off eBay as linked before. After I'd sourced some hose and faffed around making legs/support for the burner, I'd be better off with something purpose built. Thanks, though!

Edit: bit the bullet and ordered one. $58 delivered - let's hope I don't get stung on import duty...

Let us know how you get on with it mate, as I think I'll be going down the road of getting one as well. Look unbeatable for the price. IF they are as good as they claim, that is! (big 'if', ain't it!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE