Best location for Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
You can use your bushcraft skills in most country's in the world but some are better suited that some.Canada and Alaska sound amazing for places bushcraft I would always be worried about the bears.:yikes:

The thing about bushcraft skills the relay on knowledge of your local environment.If you move from your normal woodland to one on the other side of the world you lose a lot of you knowledge of what plants are useful and edible.

Guess I am trying to say that the grass is always greener.....

I went to Tenerife last year (for a beach holiday with the family), however, whilst there spent a fair bit of time touring the island. It's amazing how within such a relatively small area there are so many different climates from almost desert like on the south coast at sea level, through pine forest further up, into rocky, mountainous conditions near the summit of El Teide. However, what's even more interesting is that as you decend on the northern side of the island the forest is lush green and the vegetation continues down to sea level due to the greater amount of precipitation which the north of the island gets.

So, whilst I agree that Britains woodlands / the forests of Canada or Norway are ideal, I wonder whether Tenerife would provide more interest due to the variety of conditions to practise a multitude of skill sets?

I'm not aware of anyone running bushcraft type courses on Tenerife and had briefly contemplated this as a venture, tapping into the foreign holiday market offering bushcraft in 'different' climates. Any thoughts?

Sorry, I'm not trying to hijack the thread - it just got me thinking (dangerous).

Hathor

May 3, 2008
Prague
In Europe, outside of Scandinavia, the Tatra Mountains in Slovakia would be good. Largely undiscovered by Western tourists except for a few ski-runs in winter. Lots of movies are shot there for the landscapes.

I'm planning to visit Sumava on the Czech - German border next summer. Again, largely unspolied area as the Communists did not want people hanging around the border regions. Apparently, there are stories of individuals hiring local guides to get them through the region in order to cross the border under the old regime. Not all of them made it. Sometimes the locals stole the gear and dumped the bodies in the bogs.knowing that they would never be found. Don't know how true these stories are but it is a beautiful area.

RobeKinn

Aug 8, 2008
Edinburgh
i live in yorkshire near pocklington and York, i am yet to find a wood that doesnt have bracken up to your neck, and mud that you could excavate a whole roman wall without the use of a single tool, just hands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE