Best location for Bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That`s a tuffy, but if it has to one then it`s got to be good old native British woodland.

Closely followed in second place by Sweden (especially in winter)

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
I wish I had seen this before I post on "bushcraft" or lets pretend - so where is this old woodland which can be used by passing bushcrafters to be found then?

Stephen

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
The Great Northwoods of northern NH and Maine, USA has a wide variety of climate (+100 degrees F to - 40 degrees F) throughout the year, mountainous (Mt. Washington is known for the worst weather in the world) and a vast array of species to learn about, eat, etc.

Of course, this is where I grew up.

My local haunt will do me. Its a small wood about 4 square Km but its steeped in history. There is an abundance of wild life which has to be seen to be believed. An old highway run`s through it and is reputed to have its own ghost of a highway man and a maiden. When I was walking through the wood today I saw in the space of 4 hours, 4 deer, 1 badger, 1 fox, 1 squirrel and believe it or not 1 massive owl with a wing span in excess of 3 foot and dark brown (not sure what type, any ideas?) which was one hell of a surprise for the family and myself. The wood looks as if it was managed at one time and they gave up and let the wildlife take over. There is a great diversity of tree types, fungi and even a small lake. This wood is not well known and near impossible to find on the net. If I knew how to put some pics here I would.

lofthouse31

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 16, 2007
Wiltshire
siberia, seems to have quite a few plus points, never been, i like hard and snowy places. and as for people per sq/km its this hermits dreamland

ps ive added a picture to my profile how do i get to show with my posts

pauldr

Tenderfoot
Aug 20, 2008
thurnscoe
i used to live up past invermoriston in the highlands of scotland when i was about 7 yrs old i would go back there its just a barren wilderness there is nothing but woods , wildlife and rivers its ace

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
If some one said you can go live any where, it would have to be Labrador in Canada. The lakes, the forests and the hills.
The mossies, the blackflies and wolverines might make me think again though.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Funnily enough watching RM in the British Isles (Wild Food and Country Tracks) and reading many fellow members posts has made me want to come and practice bushcraft where you guys are.

I want to see exotic plants like meadowsweet and burdock. Chicken of the woods and tinder fungus fascinate me. A debris shelter sounds like fun - it would only result in sharing your bed with a centipede to gather leaf litter over here.

And I'd like to try out those fat bowdrill spindles you guys use. Why do you need them so big - are you showing off or does size really matter?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
BOD if you ever get yourself to Scotland, come and visit, we'll take you wet and muddy and beautiful anytime :D Lochs, hills, leafy forests, river valleys, burns and crannogs :cool:

And I'd like to try out those fat bowdrill spindles you guys use. Why do you need them so big - are you showing off or does size really matter?

I moan about that all the time, I just cannot see why they feel the need to use something like a brushshaft :confused: I make fire using one so often throughout the year, and mine's no thicker than a finger, and the bow is less than 50cms long too.

cheers,
Toddy

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
I can only really say 'wherever im standing' but not sitting in front of this computer, so il say 'wherever im standing when im of good health and free spirit'

my personal take on bushcraft, is skills and knowledge that enable me to live a more rewarding, interesting, exciting lifestyle. Perhaps on the fringe of society, but i still rely on it. I need money, not much but enough, which normally requires work. i need food, which requires shops. i need the sea to fish, and i need a vast number of quiet little corners to camp all but undetectedly. So the environment ive always lived in, provides all of that.

were i to go to the wilderness of siberia or alaska, id drown in the romance of the place but ultimately probably meet a similar fate as that 'Into the wild' kid who starved in a bus

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE