best knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lalg

Mar 24, 2006
london
im thinking of getting a new knife for general use can anyone recomend a good cheap maker want something a bit special

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
up to £10 - Mora
up to £50 - Helle Harding
up to £100 - Gene Ingram #6
up to £150 - Bearclaw field knife or Bison Bushcraft
up to £10,000,000 - AW woodlore :lmao:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I can definitely recommend Gene Ingram. I consider this to be the finest general outdoors knife I own.

ingram345_DROP_POINTv2c.jpg

The 4 1/2" blade is ground from 1/8" S30V. The handle is wider than standard. It's a custom version of his #30A. When you consider the incredible quality of his work and his willingness to do custom enhancements for a reasonable price, his work is a bargain imo. The downside is, he's no longer a well-kept secret. :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Hoodoo said:
I can definitely recommend Gene Ingram. I consider this to be the finest general outdoors knife I own.

The 4 1/2" blade is ground from 1/8" S30V. The handle is wider than standard. It's a custom version of his #30A. When you consider the incredible quality of his work and his willingness to do custom enhancements for a reasonable price, his work is a bargain imo. The downside is, he's no longer a well-kept secret. :)

Sorry hoodoo, you thinking about ordering another one and people keep sending people his way?

My_Gene_Ingram.jpg

This is mine, in D2 with stabilised birch burl handle and some nice notches for my thumb at the top, it's lovely and I will never part with it!http://geneingramknives.blademakers.com/

eloises_helle_harding.jpg

Here it is next to my girlfriends Helle Harding and you can get that from http://www.heinnie.com/

The Gene Ingram is worth the wait and the Helle, although less exclusive, for the money, it's fantastic!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Okay Squidders - you started it! I'll agree on the Mora. As for the rest,

Around £50 I'd go from a Grohmann or Fallkniven F1. As a premium knife (£100 and up) I'd suggest a BushmanTZ. Over £200 I'd say whatever you like so long as Magnus Axelson made it!

Red

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
BGRBOX including the custom bits I requested it was £101 all in - now, that's a bargain considering the standard of work... the fit and finish is as good as I have seen on ANY knife and with the wood being stabilised I don't have to worry about oiling it or it warping and lifting from the blade tang.

there was a 6 month waiting list and in that time, saving up a hundred quid isn't that bad really ;)

plus Gene answered all my many many stupid questions!

- Joe

RGRBOX

Forager
I recently got myself a 1st Production Bark River Drop Point Hunting knife. Sweet, it has a Leopard pattern marcarta handle.. light, and well made. Anyone else know of these knives.. the first I heard of them I ordered one.. I haven't had the chance to test it yet.. I have about 7 other outdoor knives in my collection.. and I also have two A. Wood /Ray Mears, which I tend to use more..

ed dickson

Feb 7, 2006
herefordshire
try davebuddknives.homestead.com i'm getting a honey lane seax kit off him. He'll sell you a knife in any stage of production (at least he seemed willing to with me) and it all looks like nice, one off stuff.

Nathan Sturgess

Forager
Mar 11, 2006
Various due to work
Well for the ''best knife'' I am going to have to say the Frost's Mora or Clipper. My Clipper outperformed my Wilkinson Sword yesterday (I think because of the thinner blade), I have just ordered another Frost's and I am thinking about putting a wooden handle and leather sheath on my clipper, so I will say, for me atm the best knife is the Frost's.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
well I like the convex knives for heavier work (baton) and even with a thick blade I can control a slice better when doing food prep. For this either a Guycep or fallkniven f1 blade with a magnus handle on it.
For woodcarving I don't get on with anything with a guard so a scandi by Dan Ko (ZDP-189 on BB) gets used
Frosts mora if I'm lending it out

Mar 6, 2006
US
Hoodoo, Squidders, and Hellz those are some beautiful Ingram knives.

A quick question, as those look brand new how do they stand up to bushcraft use?

Thanks

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE