Best knife steel for prying and toughness/hardness?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
There's this word I picked up at school Haecceity ... sort of means thisness.

So, the 3V recipe and instructions for use might make it the toughest thing, but the one you get might not be, is all. And, in the past, it has been possible, by keeping an eye on reviews and reports of actual world experiences, to track who might be making the errors.

Yeah, I heard about Bark River (I think) having numerous issues with their 3V heat treatment a few years ago.

You’re right though, you could buy the most statistically reliable car on the market and it could shear a valve head within the first month. I suppose you’re just reducing the chances of this stuff happening by following the science and reviewing the test results.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
was it you that grabbed the 52100 thing Stew was selling in the classifieds? That one'll do the trick. There's also a nice bit of Vanadis 4e there too.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Chipping and how brittle the steel is comes from heat treating not actual type of steel. Elmax is powder supersteel so as homogenous as they come which limits the above.
I have a big Elmax blade at 62hrc and I have batoned through a log with a piece of barbed wire embedded in it and the edge got dull at that point but no chipping ever occurred. Elmax is far from the chippiness of my laminated Fallkniven S1. It's pretty much a perfect balance of hardness for edge retention and torsion strength for blade integrity.

If you need any more of the above do what other people say, something hard and sharp for cutting, and something softer and springy for prying.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire

Any ideas where I can get one of these in the UK?
You could take out full membership here or on Edge Matters and post a Wanted add in the Full Member area. I would not hold my breath though. I have seen only one of Nathan's knives posted for sale on this site in all the years I have been here! Typically, Carothers Knives sell a lot of their production runs before they are even made, via their forum on Blade Forums.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
Chipping and how brittle the steel is comes from heat treating not actual type of steel. Elmax is powder supersteel so as homogenous as they come which limits the above.
I have a big Elmax blade at 62hrc and I have batoned through a log with a piece of barbed wire embedded in it and the edge got dull at that point but no chipping ever occurred. Elmax is far from the chippiness of my laminated Fallkniven S1. It's pretty much a perfect balance of hardness for edge retention and torsion strength for blade integrity.

If you need any more of the above do what other people say, something hard and sharp for cutting, and something softer and springy for prying.

Thanks mate, I’ve got one medium/large Elmax blade so hopefully that’d be OK then.

I’m still digging about for something large and 3v. I found this thanks to someone on Instagram...

They make an 8” and a 12” too.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent
You could take out full membership here or on Edge Matters and post a Wanted add in the Full Member area. I would not hold my breath though. I have seen only one of Nathan's knives posted for sale on this site in all the years I have been here! Typically, Carothers Knives sell a lot of their production runs before they are even made, via their forum on Blade Forums.

Cheers for the tip, I’ve joined BladeForums too.

Lore

Forager
Dec 19, 2003
Co Meath, Ireland
Thanks mate, I’ve got one medium/large Elmax blade so hopefully that’d be OK then.

I’m still digging about for something large and 3v. I found this thanks to someone on Instagram...

They make an 8” and a 12” too.
Unless you are buying on the second hand market do your research, there has been LONG waits for these.....

DaveAC

Nov 25, 2020
GB
Some pics
817287af9bddb81a81f41411d7ef7c28.jpg
11c940f8753e5dd7b409d9634fdb3251.jpg

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Or you could try him here, don't have to go as far as Edgematters.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent

Perfect, that’s saved me the £5 signing up fee for Edge Matters.

Thanks mate, I’ve messaged him.

WittyUsername

Forager
Oct 21, 2020
Kent

The deal is done! Thanks very much for your help, mate. I’ve sent the money, just awaiting the knife now.

I read a lot about Fehrman knives over the past couple of days and as long as it’s in good condition like the photos I’m very happy with my decision. That’s my hunt for a large 3v knife over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE