best knife for processing game birds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andy godfrey

Nov 19, 2015
Leicestershire
Hi all - new here so apologies for raising a topic that has probably been discussed before.

I have come into a ready supply of game birds - pheasant and partridge principally - and I am in the market for a new knife to deal with them. I have a Mora Companion that handles the job okay but I'm not sure a scandi grind is best for this application. I was a chef years ago and I find a standard pattern boning knife good when I'm at home but it isn't an option when I'm not.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I find a clip point hunting knife with a hollow grind works brilliantly and I prep a lot of game birds.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
You want a narrow, and thin blade ideally.

Knives used for that kind of work generally carry names like a bird and trout knife.

If you want to keep the price down then a folder like an opinel slimline would be ideal.
http://www.heinnie.com/opinel-slimline-beechwood

If you are happy to spend more then i could make you a fixed blade suited to your needs.

But i really think the opinel would suit.... its what i use for small game.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
This is the toolkit I use for dressing out birds

Tools by British Red, on Flickr

Anvil shears for cutting through neck verterbrae, pliers for stubborn wing primaries and tail feathers, thin pointy flandi grind knife by FGYT of this parish for vent and tendon cuts.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I cut the neck (with shears) separately from the food and wind pipes to keep the neck for giblets :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE