Best keyring torch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkeytennis

Jul 9, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi all, so I currently have a itp a3 eos keyring torch. It take an aaa battery but due to change of lighting in work car park (not best of areas) I want a brighter light. I guess I need a different battery type to hit over 100 lumens, current is around 80. Really want a very bright light with good throw that's pretty compact and fits on a key chain. Any recommendations?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Difficult question without knowing what batteries your happy using or size of light. I think you are going to struggle with anything under AA size batteries to get the Lumens and throw and thus go up a size of light?

Using CR123A size cells you can get the output and throw no problem but in a thicker but shorter size light than an AA cell light. But then you have to use expensive Lithium cells.

As AAA is pretty much out you are looking in the AA size range so something like a Fenix E12, Thrunite Nuetron 1A, Jetbeam BA would be ok for to about 150 Lumens but can use just regular NIMH AA batteries.

I'm thinking that a hybrid AA/14500 cell light may be an option, something like an Eagletac D26A, Olight S15 Batton or any of the Zebralight AA lights. Can use regular AA NIMH for lower output or 14500 Lithium for max power?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Fenix E15 works for my keyring. Small and stubby (half a packet of polos in size), 170 lumens so plenty bright enough. I don't like using CR123As as i prefer to standardise on AAs, but for keyring torches that need to be BRIGHT (as mine does too), you can't beat the CR123As (nice and short too). After two years attached to a big bunch of keys, the paint is a bit worn, but other than that, works great.

http://www.heinnie.com/fenix-e15

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Will be a CR 123A light then for max compactness. I have had a Fenix PD1 on my keys for well over 5 years without it missing a beat. I believe it's discontinued though.

Try to get one compatible with primary and rechargeable cells. My PD1 specified only CR123A cells but for the last few years I have run it on rechargeable cells and saved a fortune though at the expense of loosing the lower output functions.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I bought a ThruNite Saber 2014 in Feb and have been happy with it. It's a head with two bodies, one takes an AA and produces 169 Lumen max and one a CR123A and produces 251 Lumen max, according to specs. I've only tried it once with a CR123A and can't say I noticed a huge difference but I happily run it on AA rechargeables. No idea what it's like compared to other brands though, but for £19 I'm happy with it and there's a few reviews of it online. Details here: http://www.thrunite.com/thrunite-saber-2014/

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
If you don't mind the torch being a bit bigger (say 9cm as opposed to 6cm) theres a couple of new Fenix torches in the £50 price range with some blistering outputs - 400 lumens plus). Bit long for a keyring in my view though.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
It is quite a wide throw rather than a long throw which may or may not suit you. Its good for a hundred feet or more, but I have others with a narrower beam.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
These are my 3 decent output 'small' lights. In order of power and throw is the Fenix LD10, Fenix P1D and Zebralight SC600 W.

The P1D is just about perfect for a powerful long range key light, the LD10 is a little too big and would not suit your output needs as it throws out to about 50-60 yards with decent light and the Zebra is just too big for a key light though the output is a blistering 1000+ OTF Lumens.

3 very different lights with 3 different battery types!

b439b19ac32100a192dd066850e0abcf_zps8cb801b7.jpg

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've had a Fenix E01 on my keys or a few years now. I find it fills my needs perfectly.

tat0kk.jpg

It's not massivly powerful, but throw in a Druacell AAA once a year and I've found it to be totally reliable.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE