Best hiking socks?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Do you wear something different than usual leather boots?
In the summer sandals and thin soled shoes as much as posble. My winter street shoes are a pair of Haix light weight assault boots (what ever they are), very comfortable membrane boots, their only drawback is a bit too high Tg sole. In the winter for trekking I mostly wear felt lined rubber boots.

Reactions: Erbswurst

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Yep.

I use these during the Summer as a stand alone sock:

5 pairs for less than one pair of injinjis. I use the originals for long hikes.
Thanks!

The look of the light grey ones on my feet does freak me out a bit, so next time I'm getting dark-coloured ones. :D

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
@TLM

Ah, I see.
That's the reason why your feet don't get sweaty. The Haix Gtx pump out the moisture and the felt sucks it in.

In pure leather boots I can't wear plastic socks but I can do that without any problems in plastic sport shoes. They tend to smell though.

Last edited:

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Why are these better than the classical ones if the feet are shaped as usual?

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
My almost favourite socks are Darn Tough Mountaineering over the calf socks but they're about £28! Super comfy, the reason I fork out a stupidly stupid amount of cash is that they are the only ones I've ever had that do get far enough past my chunky calves to stay up. The heels wear thin though, in wellies all day long.
I thought the Darn tough guarantee meant they have to wear all the way through, and you have to post them to the States?

PeteD

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
I don't fine them anymore expensive than Bridgedales if I shop around. Trekitt have a sale on at the moment and, there's some Darn Tough stuff in that. I find the guarantee reassuring, rather than a set in stone commandment and, I could never be arsed to post things to the USA anyway. But, it's nice to know they stand by their products, all the same.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
My almost favourite socks are Darn Tough Mountaineering over the calf socks but they're about £28! Super comfy, the reason I fork out a stupidly stupid amount of cash is that they are the only ones I've ever had that do get far enough past my chunky calves to stay up. The heels wear thin though, in wellies all day long.
I thought the Darn tough guarantee meant they have to wear all the way through, and you have to post them to the States?
I posted mine to the shop I bought them from (UK). They even emailed a postage paid return label so I got new socks for no hassle!

Edit - great shop https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Are they actually wearing thin or is it just the colour wearing off? I have one pair of darn tought socks (thin and not very high) and they looked like they were wearing out in the heel, but on closer inspection it’s just that the colour stripes have worn away, leaving a grey/natural coloured yarn. The threads look perfectly fine and it’s not thinner than surrounding yarn, so they seem fine. Annoying though…

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
Mine did wear in the heel and had a hole in. I did about 2000k plus in them. I have a bone that protrudes slightly in my heel and that seems to wear all of my socks more than usual. I still think Darntough are great and even if I could not get replacements I would still use them. Very comfortable and a great quality.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
Are they actually wearing thin or is it just the colour wearing off? I have one pair of darn tought socks (thin and not very high) and they looked like they were wearing out in the heel, but on closer inspection it’s just that the colour stripes have worn away, leaving a grey/natural coloured yarn. The threads look perfectly fine and it’s not thinner than surrounding yarn, so they seem fine. Annoying though…
I have a few pairs and they're all wearing thin at the heel, so guarantee or not, I don't think they're very tough :)
But, as I said in wellies, so some slip compared to anything lace up I'm sure.

Last edited:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Greencraft has a few good guides on Bushcraft on a budget and this one on clothing is really good. He recommends a British army outer (yet to try) and a bamboo inner which I have been using and they are really good.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Darn Tough! I prefer them low-cut. So, I use no-see running socks when hiking in preferred trail runners (which is mostly Altras) during summer, and low cut cushioned hiking socks in winter. My earlier practice was Smartwool medium-cushion c/w liner socks. I still like this option if I am feeling nostalgic. Boots are Scarpas; a couple of pairs. Those are for walking. If mainly standing about it's either Grubs or Danner Quarries. But mainly, unless it really calls for boots, I wear trail runners and be wet.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Bamboo?

I guess it's worse than cotton.

Not everything that sounds new must be a really good tip.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE